Issues with PDF to PPTX conversion (Java)

Hi,

The company I work for has just bought a license for Aspose.PDF for Java, to use specifically for converting PDF’s to PPTX.

However, I am finding some issues that are quite critical for us:

1 - All pdf tables get converted as images, not as pptx tables, which makes it impossible to manually add rows/columns to the table. How can we overcome that issue? Is there a setting available for that?

2 - All images are being converted with low quality, and the PptxSaveOptions.setImageResolution method seems to not have any effect on the output quality. How can we overcome that?

Could you please advise on those issues, considering they are quite critical for our project?

Thank you,

Fernando Alves

@fernando.alves

Would you please share your sample source PDF document (having tables and images)? We will test the scenario in our environment and address it accordingly.

Hi @asad.ali,

Please find that attached.

The Original PDF document: original.pdf (1.0 MB)

The pptx converted by Aspose.PDF: converted.zip (958.4 KB)

There are 3 pages:

Page 1 and 2: Images have lost quality significantly.
Page 3: Tables are part of the background image, and not available for editing. Also, when editing the text, it doesn’t recognize that the text in each row is separate, making editing very hard and clunky.

Please let me know if there is anything we can do in the way we are structuring the PDF to get around those issues.

Regards,

Fernando Alves

@fernando.alves

We converted your PDF file in our environment using 21.3 version of the API and following code snippet:

Document document = new Document(dataDir + "original.pdf");
PptxSaveOptions saveOptions = new PptxSaveOptions();
saveOptions.setSlidesAsImages(false);
saveOptions.setImageResolution(300);
document.save(dataDir + "converted.pptx", saveOptions);

converted.zip (254.1 KB)

You can see in the attached output that tables are editable. Also, it looks like the image quality for first two slides is improved. Please check the attached output and share if you notice any issue or need some more improvements in output format.

Hi @asad.ali,

I think you might have misunderstood what we need.

We need the tables to be editable, and at the moment they are rendered as images, which makes editing not possible.

Also, although the quality of the image is a little better, it is not enough for our needs. We need the image quality to match the quality on the PDF.

Could you please advise on how to proceed?

Regards,

Fernando Alves

@fernando.alves

We apologize for the confusion. We meant to say that the tables were editable in the PPTX produced at our end. We have corrected the error in our previous response as well. Furthermore, the images are used as page background in the PDF document and PDF and PPTX are quite different from each other due to their structure and resource handling. It seems hard that image quality could be better than it is now.

You could also try to convert the PDF to PPTX using Adobe Reader and check the image quality in the output. Please feel free to let us know in case you notice any result differences.

Hi @asad.ali,

I think you might have misunderstood what I mean, again.

We need the tables to be converted as PPTX tables. At the moment they are converted as an image, part of the background. The text of the table is editable, however, the table itself is not. That means we cannot add new rows or columns to the table. Does that make sense?

How can we make them be recognized as proper PPTX tables?

Regards,

Fernando Alves

@fernando.alves

Thanks for providing more clarifications about your original requirements. We have logged an issue as PDFJAVA-40324 in our issue tracking system for the sake of further investigation. We will further investigate the feasibility of your requirements and let you know as soon as the ticket is resolved. Please be patient and give us some time.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi @asad.ali,

Could you please give me an update on this ticket?

A fix for this issue is extremely important for our project.

Regards,

Fernando Alves

@fernando.alves

Regretfully, the ticket is not yet investigated due to other pending issues in the queue logged prior to it. We will surely investigate and resolve the issue on a first come first serve basis and let you know as soon as we make definite progress towards its resolution or have any updates regarding fix ETA. We highly appreciate your patience and comprehension in this regard. Please give us some time.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi @asad.ali,

I understand there are other pressing issues being looked at.

However, I can see from other posts in the forum that this issue has been raised before, and never got any resolution.

Could you please provide a realistic timeframe regarding this issue?

Thank you,

Fernando

@fernando.alves

Please note that the resolution time of the issue depends upon the number of issues logged prior to it as well as the complexity and nature of the issue.

We do realize that similar issues were also raised in the past and they have not been yet resolved. The reason behind that is existing conversion engine of the API needs to be replaced with a new one and it is quite a complex task. Many internal components of the API are involved in it which is why a certain amount of time is needed to complete it.

We will surely let you know as soon as we have some reliable ETA to share with you. We really apologize for the inconvenience and delay you have been facing. Your patience and comprehension is highly appreciated in this regard.

We again apologize for the inconvenience.

Hi @asad.ali,

Could you please provide an update on this issue? Has there been any progress?

Thank you,

Fernando Alves

@fernando.alves

We are afraid that the earlier logged ticket could not get resolved due to other pending issues in the queue. We will surely notify you via this forum thread as soon as some significant update is available about its fix. We apologize for your inconvenience.