We're sorry Aspose doesn't work properply without JavaScript enabled.

Free Support Forum - aspose.com

Japanese date format issue when converting from "XML Spreadsheet 2003" to XLSX

Dear Aspose team,

I think I may have found an issue with the handling of a special date formatting when converting from “XML Spreadsheet 2003” to xlsx format using Aspose for Java.

The date format is the one used in Japan to display the Japanese year. Such a date looks like “平成27年10月26日” and the excel format for it is the Custom format [$-411]ggge"年"m"月"d"日".

When using this style in an “XML Spreadsheet 2003” file, after conversion with Aspose the xlsx file causes a warning on opening and the format is lost (opened in Excel 2010). The original xml file can be opened in Excel with no issue and shows the Japanese date correctly.

I converted the file with code that looks like this :

public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception {

InputStream is = <we get an input stream of our original file in “XML Spreadsheet 2003” format >
Workbook wb = new Workbook(is);
wb.save(outputFile, SaveFormat.XLSX);
System.out.println(“Conversion Complete”);

I joined my test case xml file to this post.

Can you reproduce this issue ?

Thanks and regards,

Aspose.Cells User


Thanks for your posting and using Aspose.Cells.

We have tested this issue with the following sample code with the latest version: Aspose.Cells
for Java v8.6.0.7
and were able to replicate it. The output xlsx file is corrupt and shows warning on opening it in Microsoft Excel.

We have logged this issue in our database for investigation. We will look into it and fix this issue. Once the issue is resolved or we have some other update for you, we will let you know asap.

This issue has been logged as

  • CELLSJAVA-41544 - Japanese date format issue when converting from “XML Spreadsheet 2003” to XLSX

I have attached the output xlsx file generated with the following code for a reference.

String filePath = “F:\Aspose_format_conversion_test_japan_date.xml”;

Workbook wb = new Workbook(filePath);
wb.save(filePath + “.out.xlsx”);

Dear Aspose team,

thank you very much for working on this issue.

Can you provide an approximation of the time that would be necessary to fix this issue ?

Best regards,

Aspose.Cells User.


Thank you for writing back.

We have requested the concerned member of the product team to share an insight of the problem, and preferably an estimated time for the fix. As soon as we get some news, we will post here for your kind reference.


Thanks for using Aspose.Cells.

This is to inform you that we have fixed your issue CELLSJAVA-41544 now. We will soon provide the fix after performing QA and including other enhancements and fixes.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as CELLSJAVA-41544) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.

Dear Aspose team,

I tried with Aspose 8.6.2, and I’m happy to confirm that the fixes seem to have resolved my issues with Japanese date formats.

Thank you very much for the great support !

Best regards,

Aspose.Cells User


Thank you for the confirmation. It is good to know that you are up & running again. Please feel free to contact us back in case you need our further assistance with Aspose APIs