Java Code to Add Remove Reply Comments to/from Word Document | Export or Read Comments along with Replies

Dear all,

I have a comment with a reply for it. The document is exported with the comment and its reply.I was able to export the comment.

Example:-
I wanted to display the following comment with reply.

John :This is Comment
Jeff : Replied for the comment

// Below code exports the first level comment

Comment comment = new Comment(doc);
comment.setAuthor(“John”);

Paragraph commentParagraph = new Paragraph(doc);
commentParagraph.appendChild(new Run(doc, “This is Comment.”));
comment.appendChild(commentParagraph);
CommentRangeStart start = new CommentRangeStart(doc, comment.getId());
CommentRangeEnd end = new CommentRangeEnd(doc, comment.getId());
builder.insertNode(comment);
builder.insertNode(start);
builder.write(“This Element Has Comment”);
builder.insertNode(end);

but I also want to export its reply, left indent with reply icon disabled . Does Aspose.Word support that?
Hi there,

Thanks for your inquiry. Currently, you can not set "reply comment" to a comment using Aspose.Words. Your request has been linked to the appropriate issue (WORDSNET-9959) and you will be notified as soon as it is supported.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

@tesfayemissy,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-9959) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for .NET 17.10 update and this Aspose.Words for Java 17.10 update.

@tesfayemissy,

Please note that we had also added following new public methods in Comment class during integrating the fix of WORDSNET-9959 in 17.10 version of Aspose.Words for Java API:

• addReply: Adds a reply to this comment. Due to the existing MS Office limitations only 1 level of replies is allowed in the document. An exception of type System.InvalidOperationException will be raised if this method is called on the existing Reply comment.
  • removeReply: Removes the specified reply to this comment. All constituent nodes of the reply will be deleted from the Word document.
  • removeAllReplies: Removes all replies to this comment. Again, all constituent nodes of the replies will be deleted from the Word document

The following Java code of Aspose.Words API will first remove a reply from comment and then add a new reply to a comment in Word document:

Document doc = new Document("C:\\Temp\\Comments.docx");
Comment comment = (Comment)doc.getChild(NodeType.COMMENT, 0, true);

comment.removeReply(comment.getReplies().get(1));

comment.addReply("John Doe", "JD", new Date(2017, 9, 25, 12, 15, 0), "New reply");

doc.save("C:\\Temp\\outFileName.docx");

To learn more about comments, please refer to the following article: