Jetty startup hangs when aspose.words included in POM

Hello,

when I integrate the aspose repo in my POM (and even in maven-jetty-plugin dependencies) the application hangs on startup and then fails with stack trace:

java.lang.Exception: Timeout scanning annotations
at org.eclipse.jetty.annotations.AnnotationConfiguration.scanForAnnotations(AnnotationConfiguration.java:577)
at org.eclipse.jetty.annotations.AnnotationConfiguration.configure(AnnotationConfiguration.java:447)
at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.configure(WebAppContext.java:479)
at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startContext(WebAppContext.java:1337)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(ContextHandler.java:741)
at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.doStart(WebAppContext.java:505)
at org.eclipse.jetty.maven.plugin.JettyWebAppContext.doStart(JettyWebAppContext.java:365)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:68)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.start(ContainerLifeCycle.java:132)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:114)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.AbstractHandler.doStart(AbstractHandler.java:61)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.doStart(ContextHandlerCollection.java:163)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:68)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.start(ContainerLifeCycle.java:132)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:114)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.AbstractHandler.doStart(AbstractHandler.java:61)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.start(Server.java:387)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:354)
at org.eclipse.jetty.maven.plugin.JettyServer.doStart(JettyServer.java:73)
at org.eclipse.jetty.maven.plugin.AbstractJettyMojo.startJetty(AbstractJettyMojo.java:534)
at org.eclipse.jetty.maven.plugin.AbstractJettyMojo.execute(AbstractJettyMojo.java:357)
at org.eclipse.jetty.maven.plugin.JettyRunMojo.execute(JettyRunMojo.java:167)
at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultBuildPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultBuildPluginManager.java:132)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:208)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:153)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:145)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:116)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:80)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.builder.singlethreaded.SingleThreadedBuilder.build(SingleThreadedBuilder.java:51)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleStarter.execute(LifecycleStarter.java:120)
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:347)
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:154)
at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.execute(MavenCli.java:582)
at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.doMain(MavenCli.java:214)
at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.main(MavenCli.java:158)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:483)
at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:289)
at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:229)
at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:415)
at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:356)

is there anything i can do? raising the timeout does not work.

thanks

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for your inquiry. Please download the Aspose.Words v15.6.0 from here and use it in your application. We will check if there is any issue with Aspose repository and update you via this forum thread asap.

Thank you for your response.

I tried it and integrated the jar in my local maven repo but it is the same problem.

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for your inquiry. I have tested the same scenario and have not found the shared issue. I have attached the sample application with this post for your kind reference. Please check Prom.xml from the attached zip file and let us know if you have any more queries.

OK. Think I found it.

I set the timeout via org.eclipse.jetty.annotations.maxWait=600 to 10 minutes and ran it.
It took about 4.5 minutes to fully scan for annotations with jetty 9.2.10.v20150310.
Do you have any idea what can cause this? When I delete the Aspose dependency everything normal.
I am running jetty in standalone mode.

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for your inquiry. Could you please share your Jetty application along with Jar files here for investigation purposes? I will investigate the issue on my side and provide you more information.

@kks-marburg

I have managed to solve it. It is indeed an issue with Jetty’s annotation scanning.
I added an empty ordering tag to web.xml:
according to HowTo FasterStartUp - Apache Tomcat - Apache Software Foundation

That did it. If there were any JARs which needed annotation scanning, I think they could be added to the tag.

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for your feedback. It is nice to hear from you that you have solved your problem. Please feel free to ask if you have any question about Aspose.Words, we will be happy to help you.