Line spacing issue

We are having an issue with the Aspose.Words PDF conversion utility where line spacing in the converted PDF document is modified slightly from the source .docx document. This in turn causes page breaks in the converted PDF document to be different from the source document. Unfortunately, this minor formatting difference is a problem for us because we are converting highly regulated contract documents.

In the “LineSpace-Auto_Source.docx” document, I have highlighted the line that is displaying differently when converted to PDF. This line is displayed on page 2 in the source document, but page 1 in the converted PDF document.

We suspect this formatting difference may occur when the “Spacing After” Paragraph setting (found within the Line and Paragraph Spacing toolbar item) is set to “Auto”. When we change this setting in the source document to a fixed value (e.g. 0 pt), the pagination difference is resolved.

Unfortunately, we will not always have control over the formatting in the source documents that need to be converted so we cannot guarantee specific line/paragraph spacing settings.

Is there any Aspose.Words API call or setting change that eliminate this effect?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike Girifalco

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your inquiry. I have tested the scenario and have managed to reproduce the same issue at my side. For the sake of correction, I have logged this problem in our issue tracking system as WORDSNET-11708. I have linked this forum thread to the same issue and you will be notified via this forum thread once this issue is resolved.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

Thank you for the quick response. I assume this means there is no fix or workaround at this time, and that a fix will be considered for a future release. Can you confirm?

I was wondering if one of the “Specify Formatting” methods could be used to programmatically change spacing settings from “Auto” to a specific point value:
https://docs.aspose.com/words/java/programming-with-documents/

Do you think this might work? When we changed this setting manually in the source Word doc, the spacing difference was resolved.

Thanks.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, there is no workaround available for this issue. We will inform you via this forum thread once this issue is resolved.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-11708) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

We have installed the latest update, which has fixed several formatting issues related to bullet points. We now are seeing a different formatting issue where spacing at the top of pages in source documents are being removed in the converted .PDF files. You can see this in the source and converted .PDF document that I have attached to this posting.

This spacing difference occurs in many different places, but there are a few pages where the removed space causes causes page break issues. Because we are using Aspose.words for contract document conversion, the paging differences are problematic. One instance of this occurs on page 132. In the source .docx document, you will see a line space above the “SECTION 4” header, but this space has been removed in the converted .PDF document.

You can see this again with different headings at the top of page 146 and of the .PDF document (pages 147 and 161of the .docx source document).

The net effect is the .PDF document is 3 pages shorter than the source .docx document. Let me know if you need any additional information about this issue.

Thanks.

Mike Girifalco

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your inquiry. Please spare us some time for the investigation of this issue. We will get back to you as soon as possible.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your inquiry. I have tested the scenario and have managed to reproduce the same issue at my side. For the sake of correction, I have logged this problem in our issue tracking system as WORDSNET-11870. I have linked this forum thread to the same issue and you will be notified via this forum thread once this issue is resolved.

Hello,

Is there any update about when a fix to this issue may be implemented?

Thanks.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks
for your inquiry. I regret to share with you that the implementation of
this issue has been postponed. We will inform you as soon as there are
any further developments.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-11870) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for .NET 18.6 update and this Aspose.Words for Java 18.6 update.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as ) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for .NET 18.12 update and this Aspose.Words for Java 18.12 update.