LINQ Reporting Engine - How to handle enumeration when list might be missing?

I am trying to build a document template that uses dynamically generated JSON data to output a finished document. One of the sections requires certain output if a list exists and contains a certain value. I’ve provided a simplified example which produces the same results:

Example input:

{ "party": "yes", "person": { "who": ["Fred", "Jim"] } }

Example code inside Word document template:

<<if [person.who.any(e => e.who_Text == "Jim")]>>Jim is here<<else>>Jim is not here<</if>>

Java code for triggering the reporting engine:

Document doc = new Document(docTemplate);

JsonDataLoadOptions options = new JsonDataLoadOptions();
 options.setAlwaysGenerateRootObject(true);
 options.setSimpleValueParseMode(JsonSimpleValueParseMode.LOOSE);

JsonDataSource dataSource = new JsonDataSource(new ByteArrayInputStream(json.getBytes(Charset.defaultCharset())), options);

ReportingEngine engine = new ReportingEngine();
        engine.setOptions(ReportBuildOptions.fromNames(Set.of(
            "ALLOW_MISSING_MEMBERS",
            "INLINE_ERROR_MESSAGES"
        )));
        engine.buildReport(doc, dataSource);

This works great, however if I pass in this input (even with the ALLOW_MISSING_MEMBERS option enabled) it gives me the following error:

Input:

{ "party": "no" }

Error! A conditional expression should return a Boolean value

I have tried adding a null check around it like this: <<if [person.who != null]>> without success as it seems to evaluate the inner if statement anyway. Is there any way I can get this to work so that the <<else>> is executed if “person.who” is null/missing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

@DanAngelus

This is an expected behavior, because when ReportBuildOptions.ALLOW_MISSING_MEMBERS is applied, a reference to a missing object member is treated as a null literal by the engine (see Accessing Missing Members of Data Objects for more information), but an if tag requires a Boolean expression.

To workaround this, you can turn an expression within an if tag into a Boolean one regardless of whether a referenced object member is missing or not. Please try using the following tag instead and let us know in case of any further issues:

<<if [person.who.any(e => e.who_Text == "Jim") == true]>>

As a note, we also plan to support null values in several tags including if, which is already logged as WORDSNET-23141. We will inform you through the forum thread once it is implemented.

Thanks for your response, I have given this a try using my example and it seems to work well :+1:

As an FYI I also found this morning that I could do this to achieve a similar result instead of using “any()”:

<<if [person.who.count(e => e.who_Text == "Jim") > 0]>>
1 Like

@DanAngelus

It is good to know the issue is resolved on your end. Please feel free to ask in case of any other issue.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-23141) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for Java 22.11 update also available on Maven.