LINQ Reporting Engine Template Syntax - Escaping special characters

Hi,

I seem to be having an issue in my template using LINQ Reporting Engine when I am trying to surface elements from my JSON data source that have special characters in the name. Using quotes around it does the job fine for children elements eg. <<[Object.“qn_subjectMatter-Comment”]>> but for root elements it just prints out the text. Does anyone know a way around this? Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

JSON DATA:

{
	"qn_subjectMatter-Comment": "All of the above",
	"qn_storedOnITNetworks": "Yes"
}

TEMPLATE SYNTAX:

<<["qn_subjectMatter-Comment"]>>

OUTPUT:
qn_subjectMatter-Comment

Cheers,

Sieryu Medaka

@Sieryu_Medaka

You are right. When a string literal (that is, “text-within-double-quotes”) is used after an object identifier, LINQ Reporting Engine is able to understand that it should be treated as the name of this object’s member rather than a string constant. However, a standalone string literal does not provide such a context, so it is always treated as a string constant by the engine. To recap, if using of special characters that require escaping within member names is a must, then these names should be preceded with names of corresponding objects and there is no other way to achieve this.

@Sieryu_Medaka

In addition to my previous comment, it is possible to assign an identifier for a root object that then can be used in templates for your case. Please check the ReportingEngine.BuildReport(Document, Object, String) overload. Its last parameter is the name of a data source.

1 Like

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your reply…thought that might be the case :+1:

Cheers,

Sieryu

1 Like