Loaded presentation memory consumption (820)

Hi,

When I load the attached presentation into a Presentation object, memory consumption increases by ~250MB. The size of the presentation file I’m loading is only ~5MB.

Presentation presentation = new Presentation(“Test.pptx”);

I have tried with both Aspose.Slides for Java 16.10.0 and 17.1.0 and the results are very similar.

Can you check this?

Regards,
Zeljko
1 Like

Hi Zeljko,

I have observed your comments. Can you please share environment details for further investigation to resolve the issue.

Best Regards,

Hi Muhammad,

Here are the environment details:

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS x64

Java:
java version "1.8.0_101"
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_101-b13)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.101-b13, mixed mode)

Eclipse:
Neon.1a Release (4.6.1)

Thanks,
Zeljko

Hi Zeljko,

I have observed your comments. A ticket with id SLIDESJAVA-35930 has been created in our issue tracking system to investigate and resolve the issue. We will share notification with you once issue will be resolved. I request for your patience.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,

Hi,

do you have any update on this issue?
It would be great if you could tell me when to expect fix for this issue.

Kind regards,
Zeljko

Hi Zeljko,

I have verified from our issue tracking system and regret to share that issue is blocked owing to internal limitations and an internal issue has already been created for this. We request for your patience till the time the issue gets resolved.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,

Hi,

I’m also facing same issue with Aspose.Slides.dll (But it’s .NET version) v17.7.
In my case, initialization of Presentation class object consumes 4 to 6 times of original size of PPTX file. For Instance, if the file size is 100Mbs, it takes ~500Mbs in memory.

It very a critical issue especially when someone is utilizing this library on a server, and client frequently send large PPTX files (e.g. 300 to 600MBs) to parse some data. This easily spikes the server memory and slows it down.

PS. I tried to log this issue on Paid Support but it didn’t allow me to create one (probably) due to a bug/defect.

@meridiaars,

I have observed your requirements and like to share that when you load presentation file using Aspose.Slides, the DOM (Document Object Model) gets loaded in memory, where every slides and their respective shapes along with all effects gets loaded. All data structures and variables gets loaded in memory. This is not possible that a 100 MB file shall take 100 MB in memory when loaded using Aspose.Slides.

As far as paid support service is concerned, I request you ti please visit this link again to log Priority support issue.

Thanks @mudassir.fayyaz for a quick response.

We understand that a 100MB file could take more than 100MBs in memory given the current architecture. But can we expect some optimization in terms of memory consumption in future, using, lets say, lazy loading techniques?

We observed that when we open a PPTX file in PowerPoint that contains embedded videos, PowerPoint doesn’t load the video(s) into the memory until the video is played. And when the videos is played, only that video is loaded into the memory. However, in Aspose.Slides case, it looks like all video elements are loaded in the memory at the time of initialization.

We tried the link you provided for priority support but it’s still not working. Error details are logged here:
https://forum.aspose.com/t/error-on-paid-support/161666

@meridiaars,

I have observed your following comments:

I like to share that we have added an issue with ID SLIDESNET-38462 in our issue tracking system to provide the support for partially loading the huge presentation files using Aspose.Slides. This features when available will certainly be helpful.

I like to share that since Aspose.Slides for .NET 17.7, we have added support for loading and exporting blobs data (including video) in presentation. Please visit documentation article, Add Blob in presentation for reference.

Hi again,

this issue is happening very often in my app. Can I expect any update on this soon?

Regards, Zeljko

@Zeljko,

I have observed your comments and regret to share that at present the issue is still unresolved. We request for your patience till the time the issue gets resolved.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESJAVA-35930) have been fixed in this update.