Loading a PowerPoint Presentation File in Java Throws PptxReadException

Hi team,

I have attached two Sample pptx files.
Both have similar charts in it however, one works fine with Aspose and another does not.
Therefore, have attached both the sample files below for review.sample files.zip (346.3 KB)

Could you please check and confirm the reason for the not-working.pptx file to fail?

Error observed- An error occurred during the pdf conversion process: class com.aspose.slides.PptxReadException: Exception of type System.Exception was thrown. —> class com.aspose.slides.exceptions.Exception: Exception of type System.Exception was thrown.

@IDBSSupport,
Thank you for contacting support.

I was unable to reproduce the exception you described. Please check your results using the latest version of Aspose.Slides for Java if it is possible. If the issue persists, please share the following:

• code example that reproduces the error
  • full stack trace of the exception
  • OS version on which the code was executed
  • JDK version in your app
  • Aspose.Slides version you used

Just to confirm, you were able to convert both the sample files to PDF without any issue. Is that correct?

@IDBSSupport,
Yes, please look at my output PDF files:
working-output.pdf (106.3 KB)
not-working-output.pdf (94.5 KB)
Environment: Windows 10, JDK 11, Aspose.Slides for Java 23.3

Thank you for the output files.
We had observed this on Aspose.Slides- 20.4.
Could I ask you to confirm if you observe the same in 20.4?

@IDBSSupport,
I confirm this:

Exception in thread "main" class com.aspose.slides.PptxReadException: Exception of type System.Exception was thrown. ---> class com.aspose.slides.exceptions.Exception: Exception of type System.Exception was thrown.
com.aspose.slides.et.do(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.ev.do(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.e6.do(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.q2.do(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.q2.do(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.bg.do(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.akc.do(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.af4.do(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.afl.byte(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.afl.do(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.Presentation.if(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.Presentation.do(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.Presentation.<init>(Unknown Source)

Please also note that the exception occurs when the presentation is loading.

May I ask the root cause of this error/issue?

@IDBSSupport,
Unfortunately, I do not have such information. We recommend that you use the latest version of Aspose.Slides for Java. Previous versions will not be changed.

As this issue was raised by our Validated customer and it is very important for them to know the root cause of this issue to maintain compliance, we request you to please check and confirm the reason the file failed in the previous version.
Given that the issue has been fixed in the latest version, you should be able to provide some clarification on the cause of this file failure.

Thank you!

@IDBSSupport,
We have opened the following new ticket(s) in our internal issue tracking system and will investigate the case according to the terms mentioned in Free Support Policies.

Issue ID(s): SLIDESJAVA-39180

You can obtain Paid Support Services if you need support on a priority basis, along with the direct access to our Paid Support management team.

@IDBSSupport,
Our developers have investigated the case. The presentation charts in the “not-working.pptx” document are using linked XLSX files for reading data and the charts are using multiLvlStrRef. At the same time, strRef is used in working.pptx.

Thanks for looking into this.
I do have one last question-
May I ask what is the use of multiLvlStrRef and strRef function/feature?
Just a brief explanation on this would help our customer understand the cause of this issue better.
Appreciate all the help that you have provided so far.

@IDBSSupport,

multiLvlStrRef and strRef are details of internal implementation, parts of PPTX file format. Aspose.Slides 20.4 had some issues, and it could not draw some chart types from cached data when external chart data were unavailable. We guess that the functionality was improved in Aspose.Slides 20.6. But it is better to use the latest Aspose.Slides version.