Loading Project Files from Project 2013

Hello, I am trying Aspose.Tasks for the first time and am having difficulty loading MPP files for reading. At first I thought it may be because I am using Project 2013 which maybe is not supported yet, but I get the same error with a 2007 format file. I have attached a couple of MPP files. One I saved from Project 2013, the other I saved from Project 2013 in the Project 2007 file format using "Save As..". Please advise if this code is correct:

ProjectReader projectReader = new ProjectReader();
FileStream projectStream = new FileStream(filePath, FileMode.Open);
Project p = projectReader.Read(projectStream);
projectStream.Close();

Thank You

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for writing to Aspose.Tasks support team.

Support for reading MS Project 2013 MPP file was provided since release of Aspose.Tasks for .NET 5.0.0.

Following features are supported while reading MS Project 2013 MPP file in this release:
  1. General Project Properties
  2. Calendar
  3. Task
  4. Task Links
  5. Resource
  6. Resource Assignment
  7. Extended Task Attributes
  8. Outline Codes
I tested the “Normal.mpp” file created from MS Project 2013 using following code and found that it was read successfully and no exception was raised. I used latest version Aspose.Tasks for .NET 5.1.0 for all the testings below:

//create a project reader instance
ProjectReader projectReader1 = new ProjectReader();

//call read method of project reader object to get project object
Project existingProject1 = projectReader1.Read(@“D:\Normal.mpp”);

You saved this “Normal.mpp” file as MS Project 2007 file and attached with this post as “SavedAs2007.mpp”. This file is opened in MS Project 2010 and found that it was different from the original “Normal.mpp” file as shown in the attached snap shot “Difference.png”. It shows “3” as task name instead of “Software Development”. Please confirm if it is some edited file or same file as saved from MSP 2013.

This “SavedAs2007.mpp” is opened using Aspose.Tasks and an exception is raised as “Project reading exception”.

“Normal.mpp” file is opened in MS Project 2010 and saved as “MS Project 2007”. This newly created file is opened successfully using Aspose.Tasks.

Please give a try to the above mentioned code and let us know your findings for “Normal.mpp”.

Similarly, please verify the appropriate MSP 2007 version file and give a try with the above mentioned code.

Thanks Kashif,

I upgraded to the latest version and was able to load Normal.mpp (the v.2013 saved in v2013).

However I am still unable to load the file when saving it as the 2007 MPP format from Project 2013. If you were using Project 2010 then maybe we've found that files saved in the 2007 format are different when saved with Project 2010 as with Project 2013.

The file 'SavedAs2007.mpp' is the same file. I had originally saved it as '3.mpp' and Project 2013 put the value of '3' into that field. I renamed the file but that is all.

Hi Duncan,

Please spare us little time as we are investigating the issue and will share our findings soon.

Thanks for your patience in this regard.

Hi Duncan,

Thank you for considering Aspose.Tasks as part of your solutions.

I was able to reproduce this issue at my end using the latest version of Aspose.Tasks for .NET 5.1.0 and have logged it in our bug tracking system under issue id: TASKS-33291. Development team will look into it and once we have any information regarding the resolution of this issue, we’ll update you here via this thread.

If you have any other query/inquiry regarding Aspose.Tasks, please feel free to post to us. We’ll try to assist you further as soon as possible.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as TASKS-33291) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as ) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for JasperReports 18.3 update.