Mail Merge Second Record in DataSource and Mail Merge formatting

I have a word document that has a merge data source already linked. I am trying to create a document that shows the data from the second merge record, but every time I try it always outputs the first record. What am I doing wrong? Here is my code:

docx = new Aspose.Words.Document(this.MergeFile);
docx.MailMergeSettings.ActiveRecord = 2;
docx.MailMergeSettings.ViewMergedData = true;
docx.MailMergeSettings.Destination = Aspose.Words.Settings.MailMergeDestination.NewDocument;
docx.MailMergeSettings.MainDocumentType = Aspose.Words.Settings.MailMergeMainDocumentType.MailingLabels;
docx.MailMergeSettings.DataType = Aspose.Words.Settings.MailMergeDataType.Native;
docx.Save(pdfstream, Aspose.Words.SaveFormat.Pdf);

Also, we are having issues getting the formatting to come out correctly. When previewed in Microsoft Word all of the addresses and records look fine. When using the Aspose library, there is a comma and additional white space appearing in the outputted document. (see attachment).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachment Descriptions:
sampleMergeData.doc: The datasource file containing 3 records
sampleMergeDocument.doc: The merge file with a datasource link to the sampleMergaData.doc
outputFromAspose.png: The outputted document when using the Aspose library. You can see the extra comma as well as additional white space.
previewInWord1.png: A preview of how the first record looks in Microsoft word. This is how we would like it to be outputted using the Aspose library.
previewInWord2.png: A preview of how the third record looks in Microsoft word. This is how we would like it to be outputted using the Aspose library.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your inquiry. I have attached a couple of documents here for your reference. Please try executing the following code:

Document doc = new Document(MyDir + @"Doc1.docx");
string connectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;User ID=Admin;Data Source=C:\\Temp\\Book1.xlsx;Mode=Read;Extended Properties=\"HDR=YES;IMEX=1;\";Jet OLEDB:System database=\"\";Jet OLEDB:Registry Path=\"\";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=37;Jet OLEDB:Database Locking Mode=0;Jet OLEDB:Global Partial Bulk Ops=2;Jet OLEDB:Global Bulk Transactions=1;Jet OLEDB:New Database Password=\"\";Jet OLEDB:Create System Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Don't Copy Locale on Compact=False;Jet OLEDB:Compact Without Replica Repair=False;Jet OLEDB:SFP=False;Jet OLEDB:Support Complex Data=False;Jet OLEDB:Bypass UserInfo Validation=False;Jet OLEDB:Limited DB Caching=False;Jet OLEDB:Bypass ChoiceField Validation=False";
string query = "SELECT * FROM `Sheet1$`";
MailMergeSettings mms = doc.MailMergeSettings;
mms.ActiveRecord = 3;
mms.MainDocumentType = MailMergeMainDocumentType.MailingLabels;
mms.DataType = MailMergeDataType.Native;
mms.DataSource = @"C:\Temp\Book1.xlsx";
mms.ConnectString = connectionString;
mms.Destination = MailMergeDestination.NewDocument;
mms.Query = query;
mms.LinkToQuery = false;
mms.ViewMergedData = true;
doc.Save(MyDir + @"out.docx");

I hope, this helps in understanding how you can achieve this.

Best regards,

Thanks for the response. Based on your input I tried the below code but was unsuccessful. It is still only generating a document with the first record. Your example appears to be using an excel file as the datasource. With our document the data is stored in a .docx file (see the SampleMergeData.docx for an example). How would we be able to do the merge using a .docx file? Thanks

docx = new Aspose.Words.Document(this.MergeFile);
string mergedatapath = docx.MailMergeSettings.DataSource;
string connectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;User ID=Admin;Data Source=";
connectionString += mergedatapath;
connectionString += ";Mode=Read;Extended Properties="HDR=YES;IMEX=1;";Jet OLEDB:System database="";Jet OLEDB:Registry Path="";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=37;Jet OLEDB:Database Locking Mode=0;Jet OLEDB:Global Partial Bulk Ops=2;Jet OLEDB:Global Bulk Transactions=1;Jet OLEDB:New Database Password="";Jet OLEDB:Create System Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Don’t Copy Locale on Compact=False;Jet OLEDB:Compact Without Replica Repair=False;Jet OLEDB:SFP=False;Jet OLEDB:Support Complex Data=False;Jet OLEDB:Bypass UserInfo Validation=False;Jet OLEDB:Limited DB Caching=False;Jet OLEDB:Bypass ChoiceField Validation=False";
string query = "SELECT * FROM Sheet1$";

Aspose.Words.Settings.MailMergeSettings mms = docx.MailMergeSettings;
mms.ActiveRecord = 3;
mms.MainDocumentType = Aspose.Words.Settings.MailMergeMainDocumentType.MailingLabels;
mms.DataType = Aspose.Words.Settings.MailMergeDataType.Native;
mms.DataSource = mergedatapath;
mms.ConnectString = connectionString;
mms.Destination = Aspose.Words.Settings.MailMergeDestination.NewDocument;
mms.Query = query;
mms.LinkToQuery = false;
mms.ViewMergedData = true;

docx.MailMergeSettings = mms;

docx.Save(pdfstream, Aspose.Words.SaveFormat.Pdf);
pdfstream.Position = 0;

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your inquiry.

I have logged a task in our issue tracking system for our development team to investigate if it is possible to pass a Word document as data source to MailMergeSettings.DataSource or not. Your ticket number is WORDSNET-10406. Your request has also been linked to this task and you will be notified as soon as it is worked out. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Hi Chris,

Thanks for being patient. We suggest you please read/parse Word document containing the ‘data’ using Aspose.Words, execute mail merge on template document again using Aspose.Words and finally convert to PDF. Please see the following draft code:

Document docData = new Document(MyDir + @"sampleMergeData.doc");
Document doc = new Document(MyDir + @"sampleMergeDocument.doc");
// Read and build datatable from docData
DataTable dataTable = new DataTable("Data");
Paragraph columnNames = docData.FirstSection.Body.FirstParagraph;
string[] columnNamesSplits = columnNames.ToString(SaveFormat.Text).Split(new char[] { ',' });
foreach (string name in columnNamesSplits)
    dataTable.Columns.Add(new DataColumn(name.Trim().Replace("\"", "").Replace("\"", "")));
for (int i = 1; i < docData.FirstSection.Body.Paragraphs.Count; i++)
{
    Paragraph row = docData.FirstSection.Body.Paragraphs[i];
    string[] rowSplits = row.ToString(SaveFormat.Text).Split(new char[] { ',' });
    int count = 0;
    DataRow dataRow;
    dataRow = dataTable.NewRow();
    foreach (string name in rowSplits)
    {
        dataRow[count++] = name.Trim();
    }
    dataTable.Rows.Add(dataRow);
}
doc.MailMerge.Execute(dataTable);
doc.Save(MyDir + @"out.pdf");

I hope, this helps.