Memory or file

Tommy,

Say i am creating a very large PDF file and during the process i read chunks of data from database and render to PDF. Is physical memory bein used or you are using temp files?

Consider multiple thread running and creating different reports, am I going to drain the virtual memory and make server unresponsive?

Thanks
Mark

Dear Mark,

Thanks for your consideration.

Aspose.Pdf does not use temp files but only memory. I suggest that you use single thread to create your reports.

BTW, how large is your report on the average?

Tommy,

1. I would say the reports are going to be an average of 1 meg. Takes for us 5 - 10 minutes to extract data (from the thread and chunk at a time write to PDF)
2. I must use threading environment, is Aspose.PDF can be executed from a thread? Any reason behind your sugesstion?

We may use it in a system when multiple request coming from the web and report service need to service them concurrently.

Thanks
Mark

Dear mark,

I suggest that you use single thread because I’m afraid you will exhaust your memory resource. You can surely use multi-thread if you want.

Tommy,

I wrote a single threaded app to create a large (actually according to our requirements it is an average) report.
The computer is using most of the memory (sometimes I am getting out of virtual memory error) and becomes unresponsive.

Does it means I cannot use Aspose.PDF to create large reports (same size as PDF I sent your earlier created for us by some other company)

Thanks
Mark

Dear mark,

But the file you sent me earlier is only 449KB. Would you please tell me what does 1 meg mean? Does it mean 1 mega Bytes? And how much is the physical memory in you server?

the file i sent u just an example for me for UI created by someother company.

The file I create is approx. 6000 participants. Each Participant has enough data to produce a doc of 1 meg may be more and this is not the largest.

I am running on my development machine with 512 meg and 20 gig hard disk.

Is there a reason why PDF file is not written to a file as it gets filled in?

Thanks
Mark

Dear mark,

I have added a new property ‘IsBuffered’ to Pdf class. If this property is set to false, Aspose.pdf will not write to momory but directly to file. Please test if it works better now.

Please down load hot fix 1.6.5 here.