Merge Field Formatting: neither \* Caps or \* FirstCap appear to be working

Hi,

I have added some formatting switches to some of my mail merge fields, and they don't appear to work.

When the data/content is in uppercase (EXAMPLE), the result with either formatting switches stays in uppercase, where I would expect: Example.

Thanks,
Seb

The documentation for MS Word says that

\* Caps
Capitalizes the first letter of each word.

\* FirstCap
Capitalizes the first letter of the first word.

Other letters remain unchanged and that is how it is done in Aspose.Words.

So if you have ‘example’ string filled in the field it will come out as ‘Example’. But ‘EXAMPLE’ string will remain unchanged.

This may be the oldest thread I’ve ever replied to lol

Had the same problem. To clarify DmitryV’s response, it is technically working, it’s just not producing the expected results because \* FirstCap only changes the first letter of the word. It does not convert the rest of the letters in the word to lowercase so they also remain upper in this use case.

There are probably several ways to do this but I have found this to work just fine for my needs:
{ “EXAMPLE” \* Lower \* FirstCap }

@BoredFish Thank you for sharing your solution. You are right, \* FirstCap only changes the first letter of the word. If it is required to show other letters in the word as lowercase it is required to convert the whole word to lowercase before capitalizing the first letter, just like in your example.

1 Like