Merge fields to database

Hello, I have the following scenario:

• my users fill in some field in an ASP.NET page, and the data are saved into a database;
  • after that, they print a report in doc format; I use the merge fields with Aspose.Word, so the report contains data from database; the document is disconected from the datasourse; users are allowed to modify the document format and the mergefields content.
  • when they save the document and upload it to the application, I want to extract the data from the merge fields and save it back to the database in the corresponding fields; in this scenario, I’m also concerned about data formating: how can I be sure that they will use the correct format for numbers and data in Word?

Do you think this is possible? Can you provide some example?
Thank you

Hi

Thanks for your inquiry. MergeFields will be removed from the document after merging it with data. If you need placeholder that could be reused then you can try using bookmarks or formfields. Please see the following link for more information:
https://docs.aspose.com/words/net/working-with-form-fields/
Best regards.

Thank you, in this case, I’ll use form fields

Hello again, how can I protect (lock, prevent editing, deleting) only the form fields extracted from database? The rest of the document should be editable.
Thanks

Hi

Thanks for your inquiry. Maybe you can try using ProtectionType.AllowOnlyFormFields as described here:
https://reference.aspose.com/words/net/aspose.words/document/protect/
Best regards.

But I need the reverse: protect only form fields; this option protect the entire documents but not the form fields; I need vice-versa

Hi

Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, there is no way to protect only particular parts of the document using Aspose.Words. This is logged in our defect database as issue #1494. I will notify you as soon as this feature is implemented. But I cannot promise that it will be available in the nearest future.
Best regards.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-1067) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.
(31)

Thank you for your email and your effort. I use your products for many years and they are great. You also had a great and very useful product Aspose.Report AdHoc control, I’m still using it, too bad it is discontinued…
I have a question - my subscription is expired, am I allowed to downlod and use 13.8.0 version of Aspose.Word without buying another licence? I need only the functionality that you have mentioned
Have a nice day

Hi Laurentiu,

Thanks for your inquiry.

The license file comes with an expiry date which determines whether you can free upgrade to a version of Aspose.Words that is published before or on that expiry date. Therefore, you always need to have a valid subscription to be able to use the latest released version of Aspose.Words. In case you decide not to renew the maintenance subscription, I am afraid, you will not be able to use Aspose.Words 13.8.0 as your current expiration date is passed. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Best regards,