We're sorry Aspose doesn't work properply without JavaScript enabled.

Free Support Forum - aspose.com

MPP saves Tasks as Manual Tasks; XML as normal tasks

Hi,

I have been analysing the differences between the XML and XML generated from the MPP. I am now seeing that tasks have the following shown:

2010-04-05T08:00:00
2010-04-06T17:00:00
PT16H0M0S

The MPP file is treating tasks (some tasks) as if they were manual tasks… The XML file does not treat the tasks as Manual tasks (same code different output format).

the following line is also appearing in the MPP files.

0

This does not appear in the XML.

NewTasksAreManual should be false (as a default).

Please see previous samples sent. (specifically the full project output 121 tasks). I’m including another sample where I’m starting to look at calculations. This shows the problem with the manual tasks.

At a minimum, the MPP file should have exactly the same contents as the XML file if generated by the same code.

Regards, Bruce

Hi Bruce,
Please accept our apology for delayed response.

I have tried to re-produce the issue using your latest code but I could not resolve all the missing references in the code. Later I used the original working code labeled "WritingAndOrderException" for re-producing this issue however I could not succeed.

Following are my observations in this regard:

BruceMcNaughton:
I have been analysing the differences between the XML and XML generated from the MPP. I am now seeing that tasks have the following shown:

2010-04-05T08:00:00
2010-04-06T17:00:00
PT16H0M0S

With the help of available working code I was able to observe the differences in properties in both the XMLs (generated from Aspose.Tasks and Saved from generated MPP) as mentioned above. I tried by using two empty source projects:

Case 1: Empty Source project with New Tasks set to Auto Scheduled
Here I observed the difference in ManualFinish and ManualDuration.

Case 2: Empty Source project with New Tasks set to Manual Scheduled
was missing in the XML saved from MPP. . However was different here.

BruceMcNaughton:
The MPP file is treating tasks (some tasks) as if they were manual tasks.. The XML file does not treat the tasks as Manual tasks (same code different output format).
This I could not re-produce and request you to send us some working code and steps required to create this issue in our lab for further analysis.

BruceMcNaughton:
the following line is also appearing in the MPP files.
0
This does not appear in the XML.

NewTasksAreManual should be false (as a default).
I got this property in both the newly generated XML and saved XML from MPP. Please define the steps to re-produce this issue. This was set to 0 when source MPP was having New Task Schedule set to auto and 1 when schedule was set to manual.

BruceMcNaughton:
Please see previous samples sent. (specifically the full project output 121 tasks). I'm including another sample where I'm starting to look at calculations. This shows the problem with the manual tasks.

I have tried a lot and gave ample time to make this code executable but as its more than 2000 lines, so it was quite difficult to remove missing links and execute it.

BruceMcNaughton:
At a minimum, the MPP file should have exactly the same contents as the XML file if generated by the same code.
As discussed earlier, differences which I was able to observe are shared. If these are same as observed by you, then please let us know and we will log ticket against these re-produced issues.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused to you in this regard.

Hi,

I’m not actually sure I understand your feedback. Given that you found some manual entries that existed in the MPP file and not in the XML file. There is a problem.

The fact that I can see a number of tasks in the MPP file with these characteristics. (and apparently the more tasks the more entries). Please compare the FromMPP and XMl for the 121 tasks (a small project).

I’ve attached two more test cases. They show similar errors to the indications you found. All tasks that I’m creating are not manually scheduled tasks. The XML shows that there are no manual XML entities.

What else would you like me to provide? Could you please have your developers look at this problem.

Regards, Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for providing feedback and supporting material. We are analyzing this information and will forward it to our developers for further investigation. We will post here soon about the proceedings in this regard.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Hi Bruce,


We are sorry for any inconvenience caused to you.

We have analyzed the information and found the differences in MPP file. We were able to observe the tags , and in XML saved from MPP. We have passed this information to our development team for further analysis. We will write back to you as soon as we get some feedback from our development team.

This issue is logged in our bug tracking system as TASKS-33220.

Hi Bruce,


Thanks for your patience.

Developers have thoroughly investigated the issue and found that this behavior is not a bug infact. Its actually a natural way MSP saves files. Manual tasks are in 2010 version, however there are no such fields in earlier versions.

In the sample code if we use source MPP file generated from MSP 2007, then add tasks and extended attributes to it and save it as MPP and XML, these saved files do not contain these fields.

On the contrary if we open source empty file generated from MSP 2010, update it and save as MPP and XML, these saved files will contain these fields irrespective if the task is in automatic mode (they are the same as regular fields and MSP doesn’t treat them as manual because the flag “IsManual” is set to zero). So this is the default MSP behavior and not a bug in Aspose.Tasks.

Please verify this behavior at your end and let us know your feedback.