Need for shared validation expressions

The project I am working on calls for allowing my end user to enter spreadsheet data into my web page. These will be between 100 rows and 200 rows with 15 columns or so.

Now, i want to be able to put validation on each cell, and since this is a financial spreadsheet, about 2/3 of the cols will be currency and the rest will be integer values.

The problem is I only see a way to apply validation on a cell by cell basis and I have to supply regular expressions for validation. The problem is, this becomes HUGE!

Since most validation tasks, including lists will be the same thing over and over and over, there really needs to be a central collection of validation strings for regular expressions and lists, then we should associate an individual cell’s validation with the index of the validation string we want, and on the client side, there should be an array of them defined, and the individual validation code for each cell should reference that list so that we can severly reduce the amount of data going to the client. As it stands, I can’t use the validation function.

Also, the check mark used to show validation kind of messes with the data entered as far as overlapping some. An option to set the background of an invalid cell to red or something would be useful.

Tim Trahan
Techinical Lead
Operations Audit Team
Hilton Hotels Corp.

Sigh,

The client also becomes extremely slow moving through the cells if there are any significant number of cells with validation applied. Is the client validating every sell, every time you change cells?

Tim Trahan
Techinical Lead
Operations Audit Team
Hilton Hotels Corp.

Hi Tim,

We will resolve these problems and release a new release soon.
Thanks.