Id,
      Name,
      Address
    }
  }
}

Then my template is like this:
test.docx (27.6 KB)

When I create the report, I get the error: Error! A band end is not expected. after the <</foreach>> in the Teacher details column.

What can I do to fix this error?

@gregEsg There are several mistakes in the syntax in your tempalte:

1. <[school.Name]>> must be <<[school.Name]>>
  2. <<foreach [teacher in school.Teachers>> must be <<foreach [teacher in school.Teachers]>>
  3. <<foreach [staff in school.Staff>> must be <<foreach [staff in school.Staff]>>

Here is the modified template: in.docx (27.9 KB)

Here is code I used for testing:

public class School
{
    public string Id { get; set; }
    public string Name { get; set; }
    public string City { get; set; }
    public string Sequence { get; set; }
    public string TeacherComments { get; set; }
    public string StaffComments { get; set; }

public List<Teacher> Teachers = new List<Teacher>();
    public List<Staff> Staff = new List<Staff>();
}

public class Teacher
{
    public Person Person { get; set; }
}

public class Staff
{
    public Person Person { get; set; }
}

public class Person
{
    public string Name { get; set; }
    public string Address { get; set; }
}
School school = new School() { Id = "S1", Name = "Cool School", Sequence = "test", City = "Kharkiv", TeacherComments = "Some Teacher Comments", StaffComments = "Some Staff Comments" };
school.Teachers.Add(new Teacher() { Id = "T1", Person = new Person() { Id = "P1", Name = "Alexey", Address = "Kharkiv" } });
school.Teachers.Add(new Teacher() { Id = "T2", Person = new Person() { Id = "P2", Name = "James Bond", Address = "London" } });

school.Staff.Add(new Staff() { Id = "ST1", Person = new Person() { Id = "P3", Name = "John Dou", Address = "Unknown" } });
school.Staff.Add(new Staff() { Id = "ST2", Person = new Person() { Id = "P4", Name = "Jane Dou", Address = "Unknown" } });

List<School> schools = new List<School> { school };

Document doc = new Document(@"C:\Temp\in.docx");
ReportingEngine engine = new ReportingEngine();
engine.BuildReport(doc, schools, "Schools");
doc.Save(@"C:\Temp\out.docx");

Here is the produced output: out.docx (21.9 KB)

Thank you for the quick reply. I also noticed the syntax errors, but forgot to re-upload. And I’m still getting the same error after fixing them. Could you test again with multiple schools to make sure that’s not a problem? I will do some more testing on my side to see if I can figure it out as well.

Edit: I found the problem. I had simplified the example template to make it simpler to post, and in doing so, I removed the error in the uploaded template.
The problem was inside the teacher foreach. There was an opening if tag that was missing the closing tag. I was confused because of the position and wording of the error, since it suggests that the problem is with the foreach. Thank you for the help.

1 Like

@gregEsg It is perfect that you managed to resolve the problem. Please feel free to ask in case of any further issue, we are always glad to help you.