.NET Core Targeting net452

I’ve read in several threads on this forum that Aspose products do not support .NET Core. I’m curious about the implications of this right now. I understand that if you’re building a .NET Core application with the purpose of making it platform independent by targeting netcoreapp10 that Aspose is not supported (and won’t even compile).

But, what about a .NET Core application targeting net452 with full access to the .NET framework? This type of application and usage of Aspose libraries does compile and run.

Is a net452 .NET Core application supported, and in general would the Aspose products be expected to function correctly? I’m concerned about things like multi-threading issues and resource locks in a server environment. For example, in this Microsoft blog post the author warns about avoiding the System.Drawing namespace:

.NET Core Image Processing - .NET Blog

As an example, the Aspose.Words DocumentBuilder class contains an InsertImage function that takes a System.Drawing.Image object. Do you foresee any potential issues here using such a function in a .NET Core application like this?

phil.allendorfer:
I’ve read in several threads on this forum that Aspose products do not support .NET Core. I’m curious about the implications of this right now. I understand that if you’re building a .NET Core application with the purpose of making it platform independent by targeting netcoreapp10 that Aspose is not supported (and won’t even compile).
Hi,

Thanks for contacting support.

I am afraid .NET Core is not supported by Aspose APIs. New feature requests to support .NET Core in Aspose.Words, Aspose.Cells, Aspose.Slides and Aspose.Pdf have been logged into our issue tracking system as WORDSNET-13612, CELLSNET-43816, SLIDESNET-37572 and PDFNET-40993 respectively.

These features require major restructuring and can take considerable time. We will keep you updated on these issues in this thread.

Now concerning to your requirement

phil.allendorfer:
But, what about a .NET Core application targeting net452 with full access to the .NET framework? This type of application and usage of Aspose libraries does compile and run.

Is a net452 .NET Core application supported, and in general would the Aspose products be expected to function correctly? I’m concerned about things like multi-threading issues and resource locks in a server environment. For example, in this Microsoft blog post the author warns about avoiding the System.Drawing namespace:

.NET Core Image Processing - .NET Blog

As an example, the Aspose.Words DocumentBuilder class contains an InsertImage function that takes a System.Drawing.Image object. Do you foresee any potential issues here using such a function in a .NET Core application like this?
We are further look into these details and will keep you updated with our findings. We are sorry for your inconvenience.

phil.allendorfer:
Hi Philip,

Adding more to my previous comments, please note that we are going to introduce a new product line specifically targeting .NET Core and the support for .NET core will not be introduced in existing API’s. As soon as we have some definite updates regarding their availability, we will let you know.

Hey Nayyer, do you have any updates on this yet? It would be really nice to know if a net452 .net core app is supported by Aspose.

phil.allendorfer:
Hey Nayyer, do you have any updates on this yet? It would be really nice to know if a net452 .net core app is supported by Aspose.
Hi Philip,

The current release versions of Aspose.Slides, Aspose.Pdf, Aspose.Words and Aspose.Cells are supported over .NET Framework 4.5.2. However as shared earlier, currently they are not supported over .NET Core. As soon as we have some further updates, we will let you know.

Your patience and comprehension is greatly appreciated in this regard.

Hello,

Sorry for being a bother, but I was just wondering if it is still accurate that none of the Aspose products are currently capable of running on .NET Core?

Thanks,
Victor

@VMOHA,

I am afraid currently our APIs are not supported over .NET Core framework and we cannot confirm the timelines by which they will become compatible. However, once we have related updates, we will let you know.

Please be patient and spare us little time. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

@phil.allendorfer, @VMOHA,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-13612) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for .NET 17.12 update and this Aspose.Words for Java 17.12 update.

Please also check the following articles:

@VMOHA

Thanks for your patience.

We are pleased to inform you that new feature, which request was logged under the ticket ID PDFNET-40993, has been provided in latest version Aspose.Pdf for .NET 17.12. Please download latest version of the API and in case of any further assistance, please feel free to let us know.

hi @VMOHA,

Now we have hit April 2018, how are you going with supporting .Net core? Can you please specify which api’s are done?

Thanks

@Bobbyc4,

Sorry for the delayed response. We had shared that we are working on supporting .NET Core feature for Aspose.Words, Aspose.PDF, Aspose.Cells and Aspose.Slides. Currently the feature has been implemented for Aspose.Words and Aspose.PDF APIs. Please download the latest versions of the APIs (Aspose.Words, Aspose.PDF) and try it at your end. Furthermore we are working for implementation of .NET Core feature for Aspose.Cells and Aspose.Slides. We will update you here once there is some information or a fix version available in this regard.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESNET-37572) have been fixed in this update. This message was posted using BugNotificationTool from Downloads module by mudassir.fayyaz