Object Viewer shows nothing in Visual Studio 2017 When 'use managed compatibility mode' is ON

I have installed Aspose.Words 21.1. Since then, I am not able to view object values of any Aspose classes during debugging in visual studio. Where as same is working fine with 20.7. Please find screenshots of watch window and suggest whether I am missing any steps/dependencies20.zip (183.8 KB)

@crshekharam

We have not found the shared issue while using the latest version of Aspose.Words. Please clean and build your project and add again the Document variable in watch.

@tahir.manzoor
It is working fine after we select “use managed compatibility mode” under debug->options of visual studio. But under this mode, during debug, I am not able to Edit and Continue

image.png (21.6 KB)

What could be issue or change in this version of Aspose.word?

@crshekharam

Your issue is not related to Aspose.Words rather it is Visual Studio setting. Please read the following article. Hope this helps you.
Managed Compatibility Mode does not support Edit and Continue

@tahir.manzoor
As I mentioned earlier, this problem is occurring only with Aspose.words 21.1. We don’t have any problem with 20.7

@crshekharam

Please ZIP and attach sample Visual Studio project along with all steps (one by one) that you are using to reproduce this issue at our end. We will investigate the issue and provide you more information on it.

@tahir.manzoor

1. Created c# console application with .Net framework 4.6.1 in Visual Studio 2017
  2. Installed Aspose.word 21.1.0 using Nuget Package manager
  3. While debugging, document object “d” is not showing any value in code editor. It gives an error of “internal error in the expression evaluator” in watch window

Please find project file
TestAspose.zip (9.9 MB)

@crshekharam

We have tested the scenario using the Visual Studio 2019 with on and off option for ‘use managed compatibility mode’. We have not found any issue with object viewer and ‘Edit and Continue’ option.

The issue you are facing is not related to Aspose.Words rather it is related to Visual Studio. Please read the following articles. Hope this helps you.

Use managed compatibility mode or Enable native code debugging?
Managed compatibility mode is ignored if VS2017 debugger is Mixed-mode