OLE object in a word document

Hi Alexey,

Sorry to bug you with this. I have been evaluating Aspose.Total for the company for the last couple of weeks orso. I have a very specific question regarding OLE object - very specificallyExcel 2003/2007 objects. I can get to the ole object within the document andwork with it to update data, chart, ect. without any problem. The question ishow I can save it back to the OLE object within the document. I have seen poststhat say you can not do this with Aspose.Word. Is this true? There is no way toset back (may be a byte array or a stream) within the document that representsthe updated Excel object? Would it be possible to add a property or method todo that? Or can I do this in another way? I am using Aspose.Word version‘9.7.0.0’ and Aspose.Cell version ‘5.3.0.0’.

I appreciate your thought on this.

Thanks much. Cheers, M.

Hi

Thank you for your interest in Aspose.Words. Unfortunately, inserting new OLE objects into Word documents and updating existing OLE objects is not supported at the moment. Inserting an OLE object usually requires the host application and probably cannot be done by Aspose.Words.
What is supported is preserving OLE objects in documents. That is if you open an MS Word document and then save it (possibly in another MS Word format) then OLE objects are preserved. You can also access objects programmatically, extract their data and preview image. However, creating/updating new OLE objects is not supported.
Best regards,

Thanks Andrey for the response. Where do I go from here? I need to find a solution with Aspose. This is one of my core requirement. I am willing to work with you as long as you are willing to work with me. I like your products so far. I am also using Aspose.Slides, Aspose.Cells, and Aspose.PDF.Kit. I have found challanges with all of them but was able to work with each respective product support team to figure out a workaround.
Please help me understand the process - what or who do I speak to next? Can you give me a workaround? Anything at all would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
M.

Hi Mohammed,
Thanks for your inquiry.
We apologise for the inconvenience. If you do not need the OLE object editable after you have worked with it, you could consider rendering it to an image and then inserting the image back into the document.
Otherwise you may also want to experiment with the Link field. You could remove the original object, insert a Link field at the same position using Aspose.Words and then store the object on the server, referencing this using a URL in the Link field.
These are the only work arounds I can think of right now, perhaps one of the other support staff have some ideas as well.
Thanks,

Thanks Adam for pitching in - I appreciate it very much. In my case - I do need to keep the EO as EO after the update otherwise image would have been the solution. Also link is not a solution because of other complications. In any case - I appreciate you sharing these ideas. I am still looking for a solution that will work for my context :slight_smile:
Thanks again.
Cheers,
M.

Hi Mohammed,
Thanks for this additional information.
I I’m afraid I can’t think of any other work arounds for now. We sincerely apologise for this inconvenience. I think the best bet would of been the link field, what were the limitations that stopped you from using it?
Thanks,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-1206) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.
(9)