Open excel on browser and do not allow user to save

Hi

i'm considering purchase your ASPOSE.Cell, but there are some issues that i must check first.

cause i care about security issue so much, i don't want my users save the data on their local PC,can i export data from datagrid to excel on IE browser only , and disable the 'save' function at the same time?

meanwhile,i have to protect the original data, only one or two columns can modified by user in limited format,other changes or copy are not allowed, but they can add their own data on the worksheet and change the data for free.

at the end,i have to import the original data back to datagrid without the data users added.

is that possible when using ASPOSE.Cell?

best regards

btw, i’m using .Net framework 1.1 and visual studio 2003.

Hi,

Thanks for considering Aspose.

Well, You may send data to client browser / MS Excel by using .......workbook.Save("Report.xls", FileFormatType.Default, SaveType.OpenInExcel, Response); in the web application. I think you may protect your worksheets using Aspose.Cells APIs, You may protect a few cells in worksheet, protect the whole row/column or protect the whole worksheet for your need. And you can also utilize some advance protection settings too. (MS Excel XP - MS Excel 2003).

For reference, please check the following wiki topics:

at the end,i have to import the original data back to datagrid without the data users added.

I think you may extract data using Cells.ExportDataTable() method to fill a data table and finally set this datatable as a data source for the datagrid.

Thank you.

Hi,

i've tried your suggestion about... workbook.Save("Report.xls", FileFormatType.Default, SaveType.OpenInBrowser, Response); it seems doesn't match my requirement, actually, i need to disable some button on the menu bar to avoid my user save the file on their local PC.

anyway,can i use Aspose.Cell to control the menu bar of Excel i opened? or add some macro in the Excel by Aspose.Cell?

best regards.

Hi,

Sorry! these features are not supported.

Thank you.

Hi,

Well, I think for controling menu options, you may do it by utilizing IE (browser) options.

Thank you.

Hi,

Here I am again.

Since you don't support fo controling menu options, I am wondering if I can create an Excel file with password? Which means when anyone wants to open the Excel file, he must need a password.

Otherwise, can I add a vba macro when creating the Excel file?

looking forward to your response! thanks.

Best Regards

Hi,

Yes, Aspose.Cells supports to create password protected excel file (encrypted file).

Following is the sample code:

Workbook workbook = new Workbook();
workbook.Password = "007";
workbook.Worksheets[0].Cells["A1"].PutValue("Hello World!");
workbook.Save("d:\\test\\protectedfile1.xls");

Thank you.

Hi,

Thanks for your answering.

But there is one more question. How about the macro part? Can I add macro while creating the Excel file?

Thank you.

Best Regards!

Hi,

Sorry! we don't support to create/update vba macros in excel files.

Thank you.

I'm new to this forum, so I'm hoping this question has already been answered. Would you happen to know which IE (IE7, specifically) options control menu disabling/enabling?

Hi,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Could you explain which menu you are talking about to enable/disable?

Thank you.