Open RDL in Excel Add-In and Save created File - Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services

I just downloaded the Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services and am trying to open my RDL file in the Excel Add-in, but, when I do so, it creates a blank sheet.

My 2 questions are:

1. How can I open my RDL file in Excel and be able to edit it (if it is possible)

2. I don’t have a Reporting Services server - I am simply trying to create RDLC files to have the data rendered by visual studio’s ReportViewer. When I try and Save or view the report, it won’t let me because I don’t have a reporting Server and it seems there are substantial issues with the naming convention for the report (even when I open the sample provided by Aspose and just try and save the RDL).

For #2, is there a way to view the report without having a reporting server and what can I do re: saving the report (although I found I can do it if I give the file a very simplistic name without any spaces or special characters at all).

Thanks!

@ori.goldstein

Thanks for using Aspose APIs.

Please spare us some time. We need to set up the test environment. We will update you next week. In case, we need some files or further information relating to this issue from your end, we will update you in this topic.

@ori.goldstein

Thanks for using Aspose APIs.

We have logged your questions in our database for further evaluation and investigation. We will look into them and help you with answers. Once, we will have some news for you, we will update you asap.

This issue has been logged as

• CELLSRS-530 - Open RDL in Excel Add-In and Save created File

@ori.goldstein

Question 1 : Install Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services.

Question 2:

1. Install Business Intelligence for VS .
  2. Install Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services.
  3. Create new report definition file in Excel.
  4. Create report server project in VS and add report definition file into the project.

#1 did not work - It opens as a blank Excel sheet.

#2 means I need ot create a server, though. Right?

Overall, it seems your company has created this product, but has little to no support for it… I think I’m going to give this product a miss and have to say I’m very disappointed with Aspose for this - You usually have top-rate products and support.

@ori.goldstein

1 - Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services Client opens report definition file in Excel. And you need to use Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services Client to re-create report and save it in Excel. If you need to export the report, you must publish it to SSRS or use Visual Studio to run and export it.

Please refer to online documentation. i.e.

2 - Report Server project is a project. You do not need to create a server, but you need to create a report server project file in Visual Studio.

Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services can integrate into Visual Studio.

Only Visual Studio 2017 is not supported at the moment because it does not have Business Intelligence.

@ori.goldstein,

Could you provide us your development environments here. We will create the same develop. environments to reproduce the issue.