OST/PST

Hello,
Is EntryIdString:

Unique in the whole PST/OST file inner messages in all folders?
I mean is it possible to have 2 messages inside OST/PST even inside different folders?

@australian.dev.nerds

Could you please share some more detail about your requirement? We will then provide you more information on it.

Sure, suppose we’re going to read through all email messages in ost/pst folders and list their From/Subject/uniqueID in a list to choose from, later when one item is selected, we’ll have to save that message, so there must be a uniqueID property for each message, is it EntryIdString? (is EntryIdString unique to every message inside pst/ost) ? Thanks

@australian.dev.nerds

A ticket has been logged for your requirement as EMAILNET-40686. We will inform you via this forum thread once there is an update available on it.

@australian.dev.nerds

Regarding EMAILNET-40686, the EntryId property is unique within at least one OST/PST. This property is described in Microsoft documentation.

Thanks for the info, this was very helpful, when reading storages, a unique message ID inside that storage is vital, now I know it for PST/OST:
Email.Storage.Pst.MessageInfo :: EntryIdString

Please advise why OlmMessageInfo does not have such unique ID:

As well as when reading Mbox(rd) and TGZ archives why there are no unique IDs in the whole storage?

If at the end, there’s no way, do you recommend saving each message in a MemoryStream and get the sha256 hash of it as a secure way of identifying it later?

(no idea why Email.MailMessage.GetHashCode is integer and sometimes is Negative, and it this method can also be used or not)

@australian.dev.nerds

We have logged your concerns in our issue tracking system and inform you via this forum thread once there is an update available on it.

[quote=“australian.dev.nerds, post:6, topic:251416”]
OlmMessageInfo: EntryIdString

when reading Mbox(rd) and TGZ archives there are no unique IDs ( EntryIdString ) in the whole storage

Please advise a way of doing so, without that, I won’t know which message was selected to load.

(no idea if Email.MailMessage.GetHashCode if this method can also be used or not : it is integer and sometimes is Negative

@australian.dev.nerds

Could you please share some more detail about this requirement along with MBOX and TGZ files? Thanks for your cooperation.

Hi
Just something like EntryIdString! A storage-wide unique message identifier.

@australian.dev.nerds

We have logged a ticket for this case as EMAILNET-40753. You will be notified via this forum thread once there is an update available on it.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

1 Like

One of my most wanted features :smiley:

Hello,
I think this case was for TGZ :: EntryId (String)

Like what we had in 22.12: Extract messages from TGZ by identifiers:
TgzMessageInfo class with the EntryId property
ExtractMessage(string id) method for TgzReader class

Do you know the status of this case? :slight_smile:

It is still open.