PDF/A-1A read text skips table contents

I was testing creating PDF/A-1A from Aspose.Words using a DOCX file as input. I then opened the PDF in Adobe Reader and had it read the document to me. It properly read out the subject and description for images, tables, and text boxes, but it skipped reading the contents of the table itself. I used Microsoft Word 2010 to save as PDF/A-1A and the reader did read out the table contents.

I have attached a zip file with the program I used to create the PDF, the DOCX file, the PDF created by Aspose and the PDF created by Word.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your inquiry. In your case, I suggest you please do not call Document.UpdateTableLayout method. You do not normally need to call this method as cell and table widths are maintained automatically. You can call this method before exporting to PDF (or any other fixed-page format), only in rare cases where you confirmed that tables appear incorrectly laid out in the output document. Calling this method might help to correct the output.

The rotation of shape’s text (This is some text in a text box that has been rotated 180 degrees) is changed in output Pdf file. For the sake of correction, I have logged this problem in our issue tracking system as WORDSNET-11900. I have linked this forum thread to the same issue and you will be notified via this forum thread once this issue is resolved.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

The table cell widths and the rotated text box I have posted as different forum messages. In this post I was dealing with the Adobe reader reading the document to me and skipping the text in the table. I saved the document as PDF/A-1A which includes additional information for accessibility including screen readers. The PDF created out of Word did read the table text but the PDF created from Aspose did not read the table text.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your inquiry. As per my understanding your query (read the table text) is about calculating Sum filed in the last column of table. See the attached image for detail.

I have managed to reproduce this issue at my side. For the sake of correction, I have logged this problem in our issue tracking system as WORDSNET-11907. I have linked this forum thread to the same issue and you will be notified via this forum thread once this issue is resolved. We apologize for your inconvenience.

If your query is different, please share some more detail about your query. I will investigate the issue on my side and provide you more information.

I have unlinked the text rotation issue from this forum thread. You will be notified via following forum thread once text rotation issue is resolved.
<a href="

I did not even notice that problem. Thanks for catching it. However, that was not the problem I was creating this thread for. When you open the PDF in Adobe Reader and go to the Menu View and then to the sub-menu “Read Out Loud” then click on “Activate Read Out Loud” and finally select View -> Read Out Loud ->Read To End of Document, it will not read out loud the text of the table for the PDF created with Aspose. It does read out loud the text of the table in the PDF crated from Word. Both PDF’s were created PDF/A-1A.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for sharing the detail. I have tested the scenario using latest version of Aspose.Words for Java 15.4.0 and have not found the shared issue. I used the Adobe Acrobat X1 version to test this issue. I have attached the output Pdf with this post for your kind reference.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-11907) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.