PDF Option - Allow Commenting

Hi,
I’ve created a PDF with the latest version of Aspose.words .NET. I am finding that ‘Commenting’ is not allowed in the Acrobat Reader 9.4. (‘Document … Security … Show Security Properties’)
I would have throught that commenting would be ‘allowed’ after the document has been created.
Are there any plans to have ‘Commenting’ as a PDF Option?
or Should I actually be able to add comments to a PDF created by Aspose.Words and something else is not setup correctly?
Regards, Bruce

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for your inquiry.
I have checked a couple of PDFs rendered by Aspose.Words and all appear to have Commenting allowed under Security Properties. Could you please attach your template here for testing. Also please make sure you are using the latest version of Aspose.Words. It is avaliable here.
Thanks,

Hi,
I’m using 9.4.0 (latest released version … not hotfix).
I had not thought about the input file … They are word documents that I’ve not changed for a while. The attached is loaded and then other information is appended. As you will see the file is a fairly old word format.
Any thoughts or feedback appreciated!!
Regards, Bruce

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for the additional information.
I will still unable to reproduce the issue using Aspose.Words 9.4 and Adobe Acrobat Professional edition. I think the reason for this difference is explained in this page here.
It seem commenting is not allowed in PDF files opened by Acrobat Reader. The only way to enable this is to click a special setting “Enable for Commenting and Analysis in Adobe Reader” in one of the full versions to allow this.
I have had a quick check to see if any of the Aspose PDF components support enabling this feature, but I’m afraid it turns out this feature is undocumented and cannot be implemented.
Currently I can only suggest an upgrade of the Adobe product or to programmatically add comment using Aspose.Pdf.Kit.
Thanks,

Hi Adam,
Thank you very much for your response. I now see that I have started to use the latest Acrobat Reader version for testing and in the past I have been using Acrobat Professional. This explains why I have been getting mixed results with comments. I also appreciate some of the design constraints around the use of comments.
Thanks again for your prompt response to my problem!!
Regards, Bruce

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-4541) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.