PDF redaction - remove text permanently

Hello,

In one of our projects we need to allow end-user to redact PDF document (also created by scanning hard-copy document but not limited to) by selecting particular area with a mouse and filling that area with colored rectangle. The text under the rectangle should be then permanently removed from PDF document, so that it can’t be recovered or read by any means.

Some PDF viewer/editor (in browser window) also would be appreciated.

Can I address that requirement with Aspose product? Could you give me some advice how to do that?

Thanks,
Krzysiek C.

Hi Krzysiek,

Thanks for your interest in Aspose.

Aspose.Pdf for .NET supports to redact the certain PDF page area using RedactionAnnotation. However it is a class library, It does not provide any GUI. You need to implement it in your application as per your need. You can get your coordinates of your selected area and pass to RedactionAnnotation for redaction.

Furthermore, our sister concern company provides GUI functionality to view and edit document. You may consider this for your requirements as well. For more information, we suggest you please contact [GroupDocs support].

Please feel free to contact us for any further assistance.

Best Regards,

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

I tried a solution you suggested here http://www.aspose.com/docs/display/pdfnet/Redact+certain+page+region+with+RedactionAnnotation

I tried both methods, using RedactionAnnotation and PdfAnnotationEditor class.
However I can search text under redacted area, which means the text has not been removed permanently.
My requirement is that covered content must permanently be removed from the document, but without changing overall document and text layout.

Is it possible to do that with Aspose library?

btw: I checked GroupDocs Annotation Product. It's quite cool, but still I would like to use Aspose.

Thanks,
Krzysiek C.

Hi Krzyseik,

Thanks for your feedback. I have tested the scenario again and I am unable to search text from redacted area. I will appreciate it if you please share your sample code and input/output document. We will look into it and guide you accordingly.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Best Regards,

Hi,

Indeed your attached helloworld_redact.pdf behaves as required, I can’t search “Aspose” behind redacted area. This is what I’d like to do, but didn’t manage so far.

Thus attached is a sample (based on Aspose samples) I use to redact pdf. In \AsposePDF\Text\Data subfolder you will find PDFs created with Aspose library methods. When I open either of them in Acrobat Reader I can find for example “vaudeville in the US”. This text is under redacted area, but shoud be removed.

FYI: I use evaluation version of Aspose.Pdf.dll, ver. 10.5.1.0 (not attached here). I assume it does not have any functional limitations, for instance in redaction. Or maybe this is the reason?

I would be grateful if you could provide some sample that works properly.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Krzysiek C.

Hi Krzyseik,

Thanks for your feedback. I have tested the scenario and noticed that you are getting issue due to evaluation version. Please make a request of 30 days temporary license and implement it to evaluate Aspose.Pdf without any limitation, it will resolve the issue. Please find sample documents for your reference.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Best Regards,

Hi,

Sorry for no answer for such a long time.
As you said, it turned out that I had an issue due to evaluation version. After I registered eval version in my code, the redaction works as required.

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,
Krzysiek C.

Hi Krzyseik,

Thanks for your feedback. It is good to know that you have managed to accomplish your requirements.

Please keep using our API and feel free to contact us for any further assistance, we will be more than happy to extend our support.

Best Regards,