PDF size when document contains embedded images

We have been using Aspose.Words to convert .doc files to PDF and this is working extremely well for the most part. However when the Word document contains embedded images, we are unable to get the file size down to a managable level.
The word documents themselves can be quite large (as much as 70-80MB) however saving as a PDF in Word (2007/10) can output PDF files around 200-300KB by specifying the “Minimize size (publishing online)” option.
Is there a way to perform the same image manipulation using Aspose.Words?
Any advise would be most appreciated.
Mark.

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your inquiry. Size of PDF documents can be reduced only by doing the following:

1. Decreasing size of images inside PDF (this can be done only be decreasing quality).
  2. Subsetting fonts, which are embedded into the PDF documents. (Aspose.Words does this by default).
  3. Compression of text (Usually decreasing of size is not very big)
  4. Using “Core fonts”. “Core fonts” are 14 fonts, which are supported by PDF viewers by default. We can optionally get rid embedding of these fonts into PDF. But, unfortunately, this feature is not supported by Aspose.Words at the moment. I will let you know once it is available.

Best regards.

Thank you for your reply. I have tried reducing the quality of the PDF (using the PDFSaveOptions settings) however, this made no difference to the size of the file.
Further investigate shows that the images within the word document are EMF rather than JPG images which is why they wouldn’t be altered by the quality setting.
I solved the problem by cycling through all the images (using doc.GetChildNodes(NodeType.Shape, True)) and converting from EMF to JPG.
This reduced the document size considerably.
Thank you for your help.
Mark.

Hi Mark,
It is perfect that you managed to achieve what you need. Please let us know if you need more assistance, we are always glad to help you.
Best regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-2716) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.
(38)