PDFConverter slow performance in 4.0

Hi,

We’ve been using the Aspose.Pdf.Kit library since version 3.3 but have recently updated to the newest version, 4.0, to fix several issues we encountered. In previous versions it’s taken about 2 seconds to generate a .jpg for a single page from a pdf, but now with version 4.0 we’re averaging about 8-12 seconds. Our code remains the same, only the .dll has changed.

We’re setting start and end page ranges to the same value as to just create a single page image. Performance seems to be about the same regardless of the document length, 3 or 20 pages makes no difference. Also, whether I run this locally, or on our load-balanced servers the performance is about the same, so it’s likely not a server issue.

Is this a known performance issue and have others encountered this?

Hi Paul,

We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

Can you please share a few sample files, so we could test the issue at our end?

We’re looking forward to help you out.
Regards,

Please see the attached file. I’ve taken some metrics with the same setup, the only difference is that the first time (in seconds) is version 3.3 of the Aspose.Pdf.Kit library, and the second is for version 4.0.

Page 1: 1s -> 3s
Page 4: 1.5s -> 7s
Page 5: 1.4s -> 7s
Page 6: 1.3s -> 7.5s

So the performance of the newest version seems to be about 1/4 as fast as the older version roughly. Some simpler pages or pdfs still render images at acceptable times, but for those which are more complex, the delay is hurting the user experience of our product.

Hi Paul,

I have logged this issue as PDFKITNET-13912 in our issue tracking system. Our team will look into this issue and you’ll be updated via this forum thread once the performance is improved in our upcoming versions.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience.
Regards,

I just saw that version 4.1 of the Pdf.Kit library was released and have re-tested the performance for my test cases. Performance has been improved (just about doubled), but is still about half the speed I was seeing with version 3.3. I didn’t see this ticket number listed with the 4.1 release notes; it is safe to assume this ticket is still open and performance might further improve in an upcoming version?

The numbers I had gathered now stand at:

<span style=“font-size:8.0pt;
font-family:“Arial”,“sans-serif”;color:black”>Pg - v4.0 - v4.1 - v3.3<o:p></o:p>

Pg 1 3s 1s 1s

Pg 4 7s 4.1s 1.5s

Pg 5 7s 4.1s 1.4s

Pg 6 7.5s 3.8s 1.3s

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for sharing this information. Yes, this issue is still open and our team is working to improve the performance. We’ll update you via this forum thread once the performance is further improved.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do let us know.
Regards,