Place of configuration XML file (Reporting Services)

Hello Aspose,

I am trying to have a certain specific mark (page break) in a converted html at locations corresponding to the end of each page of an original ms Word file.
To this end, I would like to mark a page break at the end of each page of the original Word file.

I’m currently looking at this page.
https://docs.aspose.com/words/reportingservices/page-breaks/

However, I cannot find a configuration XML file as described below.
https://docs.aspose.com/words/reportingservices/configuration-explained/

I’m using Visual Studio 2019 (Community 2019 Version 16.7.2) and Microsoft .NET Framework (Version 4.8.04084) at a local Windows machine.
Could you teach me where I can find the config file?

@shun1985,

We are working on your query and soon you will be updated with the required information.

@awais.hafeez,

Thank you very much !

@shun1985

You can find RSReportDesigner.config file at the following path:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\SSRS

We suggest you please check how to Integrate Aspose.Words for Reporting Services Manually with Visual Studio Report Designer.

If your problem is not resolved, please share some more detail about your requirement. We will then provide you more information on it.

@tahir.manzoor

Thank you for teaching.
It seems that I haven’t got page breaks on the end of each page yet.
What I have done is as the following.

I installed “Microsoft reporting service project” extension into Visual Studio 2019.
And I took steps according the instructions below.
Integrate Aspose.Words for Reporting Services Manually with Visual Studio Report Designer .
At the same I edited the XML config file (RSReportDesigner.config) following this site.
https://docs.aspose.com/words/reportingservices/page-breaks/

Maybe I have not finished this step properly?
Step 4. Verify that Aspose.Words for Reporting Services was installed successfully.

Please teach which step I might have failed to effectuate.
I attached two XML config files.
xmlconfig.zip (3.7 KB)

@shun1985

Please make sure that you copied the Aspose.Words.ReportingServices.dll from SSRS2019 and pasted it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies path.

Please share if you are able to view the default export options of Report Viewer.

If you still face problem, please share your sample application (WinForm or WebForm) that you are using. We will investigate the issue and provide you more information on it.

@shun1985

Please put the Aspose.Words.ReportingServices.dll to the following path:

“C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\[VS edition name]\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\SSRS”

The [VS edition name] = Community or Professional etc.

If you still face problem, please share following detail for further investigation.

• What kind of integration you dealing with (Visual Studio Report Designer or Microsoft Report Viewer)?
  • Where you do not see page breaks (in output document or in the VS)?
  • Does new formats available for exporting as described on the “Step 4”?
  • Please share“Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services” and “Microsoft Reporting Services Projects” extension versions in the case of integration with “Visual Studio Report Designer”.

@tahir.manzoor

Thank you for updating information.
I put the Aspose.Words.ReportingServices.dll in the right directory.

What kind of integration you dealing with (Visual Studio Report Designer or Microsoft Report Viewer)?

Currently I would like to try integration with “Visual Studio Report Designer”.
Please forgive me to ask three basic questions regarding the necessary integration.

To use “Visual Studio Report Designer”, what kind of steps should I take ?
I have only installed “Microsoft Reporting Services Projects” extension into Visual Studio 2019, and not “Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services” extension.

In the case of the integration with “Visual Studio Report Designer”,
can I use the Report Designer on the interface of Visual Studio 2019?

In order to put a page break on the end of each page using the integration of the kind above,
should I use WinForm or WebForm as application, not Console Application ?

I will answer your other questions per each.

Where you do not see page breaks (in output document or in the VS)?

in output document

Does new formats available for exporting as described on the “Step 4”?

I will check it after integration has been successful.

Please share“Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services” and “Microsoft Reporting Services Projects” extension versions in the case of integration with “Visual Studio Report Designer”.

I will check the versions of the two extensions after completing integration.
Can I see the versions on the interface of Visual Studio?

@shun1985

Thanks for sharing the detail and your queries. You are using Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Reporting Services. Please confirm and share the SQL Server edition. Aspose.Words for Reporting Services does not support SQL Server Express edition.

We have logged this issue as WORDSRS-294 in our issue tracking system for your requirement. We will update the documentation and inform you via this forum thread once it is completed. We apologize for your inconvenience.

Aspose.Words for Reporting Services does support Visual Studio 2019. You can use WinForm and WebForm for your requirement.

@tahir.manzoor

Here is the edition of SQL Server in my environment.

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 (RTM) - 15.0.2000.5 (X64)
        Sep 24 2019 13:48:23
        Copyright (C) 2019 Microsoft Corporation
        Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows 10 Pro 10.0 <X64> (Build 19042: ) (Hypervisor)

I am looking forward to further information.
Thanks as always.

@shun1985

Thanks for sharing the detail. Could you please ZIP and attach the sample WinForm application that you are using to view report? We will investigate this issue further and provide you more detail on it.

@shun1985

We installed latest available SSRS “15.0.7545.4810” and have not found any issue with Aspose.Words for Reporting Services exporters.

You can use following steps to use Aspose.Words for Reporting Services.

1. Install MS-SQL 2019.

2. Install VS2019.

3. Install SSRS with version 15.0.7545.4810.

4. “Microsoft Reporting Services Projects” extension v2.6.2 (https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2111531).

5. Aspose.Words for Reporting Services 20.11 MSI installer works for us as expected. If some issues occurred, then “Aspose.Words for Reporting Services” may be installed manually according to steps described here: https://docs.aspose.com/words/reportingservices/integrating-manually-with-visual-studio-report-designer/. In case of manual installation, path for “Aspose.Words for Reporting Services” assembly, “RSReportDesigner.config” and “RSPreviewPolicy.config” is “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019[VS edition name]\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\SSRS”.

6. Create “rptproj”, add report. After that additional options will appear under “Export” button on the preview tab.

If you still face problem, please share “Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services” (SSRS) and “Microsoft Reporting Services Projects” extension versions.

Please also share the MS SQL Server edition e.g. Standard or Developer.

@tahir.manzoor

I’m sorry for late reply.
I think I am getting stumbled in the step 6.

6. Create “rptproj”, add report. After that additional options will appear under “Export” button on the preview tab

I have created a rptproj in VS 2019 and added a couple of existing RDL files.
RDL_sample.zip (154.1 KB)

But it seems that the “Export” button on the preview tab is not available (though the button is visible in a thinner color).
And the preview is conveying an error message as below:

An error occurred during local report processing.
Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.ReportingServicesCore, Version=2019.11.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies.
The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT:0x80131040)

(original Japanese error message)
ローカルレポートの処理中にエラーが生じました。
ファイルまたはアセンブリ'Microsoft.ReportingServicesCore, Version=2019.11.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91'、またはその依存関係の1つが読み込めませんでした。見つかったアセンブリのマニフェスト定義はアセンブリ参照に一致しません。(HRESULTからの例外:0x80131040)

Besides, I couldn’t add a new item (RDL file) neither. The same phenomenon is described in the following website.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/64824124/ssrs-member-not-found-exception-from-hresult-0x80020003-disp-e-membernotfound

@tahir.manzoor

The MS SQL Server edition is Developer edition.
I assure that the version of “Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services” itself be 15.0.7545.4810.
But can I check “Microsoft Reporting Services Projects” extension version though VS 2019?

@shun1985

We have closed WORDSRS-294. The latest version of Aspose.Words for Reporting Services i.e. 20.11 works for Visual Studio Community 2019 version.

We created sample “rptproj” using Visual Studio 2019 and added your reports in this project. We have not found any issue with Aspose.Words for Reporting Services exporters. Please check the attached images and output documents.
CountrySales.png (81.8 KB)
Transcript.png (57.9 KB)
output.zip (183.6 KB)

Please remove Aspose.Words for Reporting Services DLL from the following path and put the original files RSReportDesigner.config” and “RSPreviewPolicy.config” at this path.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\SSRS

You are installing Aspose.Words for Reporting Services manually. Perhaps, you are not installing it correctly. We suggest you please install it via MSI installer.