Poor performance converting PDF pages to image

Hi,

We are looking for a toolkit that can convert PDF pages to an image.
So we did some tests with different toolkits including Aspose.Pdf (we have an Aspose.Total license)

We looked at the performance and quality of the conversion (if the resulting image was correct).
These are the results:

Toolkit Time Correct (of 30 documents)
Aspose 109s 27
PDF4Net 81s 21
Atalasoft 55s 27
GdPicture 61s 27
Gnostice 248s 16
ceTeSoftware 29s 30
PDF Tron 48s 27

As you can see the quality of the Aspose conversion is good (good enough for us): only 3 of 30 documents were converted incorrectly of which 2 were only small color errors.

The performance of Aspose.Pdf is however poor. It also seems to use a lot of memory during conversion; much more than the other toolkits.

Questions:

1. do you think it is possible to improve the speed of the conversion or is there no room for improvement due to the way the toolkit was build?
2. do you have plans to improve the speed and memory consumption in the near future?

Thank you and best regards,

Corné

Hi Corné,

Thanks for your interest in our products.

The time taken by API to perform conversion depends upon the structure and complexity of input file. However, can you please share some sample PDF files so that we can test the conversion at our end. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

Also please note that we recommend using instructions specified over Convert all PDF pages to PNG Images

Hi Nayyer,

Thanks for your response.

I attached some PDF’s that take (relatively) much time to convert.

PDF Aspose Other toolkits
Q10MRC.pdf 17s between 2 and 4s
100516.pdf 17s between 2 and 7s
bug1407.pdf 8s between 1 and 3s

It would be great if you were able to improve the performance!

best regards, Corné

Hi Corné,

Thanks for sharing the resource files.

I have tested the scenario and have managed to reproduce the same performance related issues. For the sake of correction, I have separate logged these problems in our issue tracking system.

• Performance issue related to 100516.pdf is logged as PDFNEWNET-37201.
  • Performance issue related to Q10MRC.pdf is logged as PDFNEWNET-37202.
  • Performance issue related to Bug1407.pdf is logged as PDFNEWNET-37203.

We will further look into the details of these problems and will keep you posted on the status of correction. Please be patient and spare us little time. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

Hi codewarrior,

Any progress in improving the performance?

Are you planning to improve the performance and if so, when do you think this will be ready?

best regards,

Corné

Hi Corné,

Thanks for your patience.

The development team has been busy fixing previously reported issues and I am afraid the above stated problems are not yet resolved. Nevertheless, I have requested the development team to share any possible ETA and as soon as I have some updates regarding its resolution, I would be more than happy to update you with the status of correction. Please be patient and spare us little time.

We are sorry for this delay and inconvenience.

Hi,

I am facing similar issues with performance.

Is this still in progress?

Hi Anand,

Thanks for contacting support.

Earlier reported issues in this thread are not yet resolved as the team has been busy fixing other previously reported issues. However performance related issues are mostly related to the structure and complexity of input document, so we request you to please share your input files, so that we can test the scenario in our environment. We are sorry for this inconvenience.