Poor results of Cells.NET convertion ods-xslx tests

Dears,

yesterday I'we downloaded your Total.NET lib and eval license and your guidelines and support were very good and your promises to have/be the best lib on the market that can operate cross-format and also convert docs, are for us very interesting features... if it really works.

So we decided as first acceptance test, to start with the format convertions, that resumes maybe all of the best of your libs. We started by using some different example ods files and porting them to xslx and with very surprise we discovered that this operation is almost never succeeding.

We have noticed this:
1. more than once we got exceptions and nothing is provided as output (such as cast exceptions, and so on)
2. many output files results corrupted when opened with Excel and they do not open or the auto correction made by excel simply cuts of entire parts of the document or its features
3. by discovering the above problems we selected just one of the few files that seemed to be converted without the above problems and by doing a matching test we have seen that also so the files do not match anyway! Many properties, numbers, or features were simply lost!

So we have suspended any other kind of test on Cells, and consequently on all others libs of your package.
What's wrong with me? Is this a limitation depending on the free license we just got for made such test?
Or what's the real truth about yours libs? Or what should we know or should you say me more or should I check before using your libs?

Best regards
Luca

Hi Luca,

Thank you for considering Aspose APIs, and sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

It would be of great help in isolating the problem cause if you can provide us the source ODS files segregated in three types of problems as stated in your above post. We will review them in order to assist you further in this regard. Moreover, we have just published a new build of Aspose.Cells for .NET 2.2.0, that is readily available for you to download in case you wish to give the API another try on your end.

Looking forward to your kind response.

Hello and thank you very much for your reply.

Your wellcome.
We should then also test Impress and Writer…

Hi Luca,

Thank you for providing the samples for our testing. We will shortly get back to you with updates in this regard.

Hi Luca,

Thank you for your patience with us.

We are able to replicate most of the mentioned problems while using the latest version of Aspose.Cells for .NET 8.2.2, and we have logged these problems in our bug tracking system for detailed investigation. However, one of the ODS files (Europa Arredamenti.ods) is password protected so we need its password to evaluate the case of improper conversion.

Here are the details of the tickets logged.

• CELLSNET-43085: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException while loading ODS file
  • CELLSNET-43086: ODS to XLSX conversion produces corrupted spreadsheet (direttori.ods)
  • CELLSNET-43087: ODS to XLSX conversion produces corrupted spreadsheet (forniture d’ufficio.ods)

Hello,

it’s fine.
The worksheet password should be “nocambiamento”.
We will suspend any other test waiting for your news.
Best regards.
Luca

Hi Luca,

Thank you for your continues support.

Please note that the features of Data Validation & Custom Formatting for ODS file format are not supported at the moment. We have now logged feature requests so we may analyze the feasibility of this requirement, and provide the implementation with future release of Aspose.Cells for .NET. The ticket details are as follow:

1. CELLSNET-43089: Support for Conditional Formatting
  2. CELLSNET-43090: Support for Data Validation

We have also evaluated the problems related to the Graphs when provided ODS file is converted to XLSX format. There are several issues related to the layout of the converted graphs that we have logged for further investigation & correction purposes under the ticket CELLSNET-43091.

Please spare us little time to properly analyze all the tickets attached to this thread. In the meanwhile, we will keep you posted with updates in this regard.

Hi Luca,

Thank you for using Aspose.Cells.

For your issue (CELLSNET-43085 - System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException while loading ODS file)

We have evaluated this issue further and found that the “Costi magazzino Italia.ods” is an invalid ods file. Please check it in
OpenOffice. So it is not a bug of Aspose.Cells.

Hi mshakeel.faiz,

but sorry, what kind of simple conclusion is: So it is not a bug of Aspose.Cells? What I mean is: how do you think to close with such semplicity an issue!

I’ve downloaded back the zip file I sent you and opened the specified file with both Open/LibreOffice and it opens-works-saves well.

I’ve used the Libre:

Version: 4.3.2.2

Build ID: edfb5295ba211bd31ad47d0bad0118690f76407d

And OpenOffice

AOO411m6(Build:9775) - Rev. 1617669

2014-08-13 09:06:54 (Mi, 13 Aug 2014)

And I’ve sent you also two screen shots. I don’t know what wents wrong with your test, or what I do wrong know, but such conclusion should be given with more attention to the user and letting open at least the dubt.

So please, give a closer look.

Thank you

Luca

Hi Luca,

Thanks for your screenshots and using Aspose.Cells.

We have looked into this issue further and we were able to open your ODS file in Open Office 3.4.1. I have attached the screenshot for a reference.

We have reopened this issue (CELLSNET-43085 - System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException while loading ODS file) and added your comments inside it.

We will investigate this issue further and once there is some fix or other update for you, we will let you know asap.

Ok, thank you.
So, now magically opens, but better so. For you at least…
And what about the other questions I made you?

Best regards,
Davide

Hi Davide,

If you are referring to the PptUnsupportedFormatException while loading ODP file with Aspose.Slides for .NET then we have already moved that part of the inquiry to the relevant forum, that is; Aspose.Slides support forum. You may review the progress on that inquiry from here.

Hi Davide,

Thanks for using Aspose.Cells.

We have fixed the following issues

• CELLSNET-43086 - direttori.ODS to XLSX conversion produces corrupted spreadsheet
  • CELLSNET-43087 - forniture d’ufficio.ODS to XLSX conversion produces corrupted spreadsheet
  • CELLSNET-43091 - Chart’s Layout has changed while converting ODS to XLSX format

We will provide you a fix in couple of days after incorporating other
enhancements and fixes and conducting some extensive testing. Once, it
is available for you, we will let you know asap by posting in this
thread.

Hi Davide,

Thanks for your using Aspose.Cells.

We have fixed the following issues

• CELLSNET-43086 - direttori.ODS to XLSX conversion produces corrupted spreadsheet
  • CELLSNET-43087 - forniture d’ufficio.ODS to XLSX conversion produces corrupted spreadsheet
  • CELLSNET-43091 - Chart’s Layout has changed while converting ODS to XLSX format
  • CELLSNET-43085 - System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException while loading ODS file (Costi magazzino Italia.ods)

Please download and try the latest fix: Aspose.Cells for .NET v8.2.2.1 and let us know your feedback.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as CELLSNET-43091;CELLSNET-43087;CELLSNET-43085) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.

@lucabarbi,

This is to inform you that we have fixed your issues (logged earlier as “CELLSNET-43090” and “CELLSNET-43089”) now. We will soon provide you the fixed version after performing QA and incorporating other enhancements and fixes.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as CELLSNET-43089,CELLSNET-43090) have been fixed in Aspose.Cells for .NET v20.1. This message was posted using Bugs notification tool by Amjad_Sahi