Problem converting hyperlinks to DOCX format

Hi,
We are using DOC to DOCX conversion functionality provided by Aspose.Word.java toolkit. We noticed that hyperlinks in WORD2003 document are represented using HYPERLINK field in DOCX format as shown below.

<w:p w:rsidR="00BF15D3" w:rsidP="00BF15D3">
	<w:fldChar w:fldCharType="begin" />
	</w:r>
	<w:r w:rsidR="00773FAD">
		<w:instrText xml:space="preserve">HYPERLINK "http://www.google.com/" \h </w:instrText>
	<w:fldChar w:fldCharType="separate" />
		<w:t>Link to G</w:t>
	<w:bookmarkStart w:id="6" w:name="_Hlt192994867" />
		<w:t>o</w:t>
	<w:bookmarkEnd w:id="6" />
		<w:t>og</w:t>
	<w:bookmarkStart w:id="7" w:name="_Hlt192994885" />
		<w:t>l</w:t>
	<w:bookmarkEnd w:id="7" />
		<w:t>e.com</w:t>
	<w:fldChar w:fldCharType="end" />
</w:p>

As per open XML standard, hyperlinks should be represented using hyperlink element as shown below. I confirmed the same by manually converting a word2003 document to DOCX format using MS word convertor.

<w:p w:rsidR="005D62B1" w:rsidRPr="00FE5428" w:rsidRDefault="005D62B1" w:rsidP="00001DFC">
	<w:b />
	<w:sz w:val="28" />
	<w:szCs w:val="28" />
	<w:u w:color="FFFF00" />
	</w:rPr>
	</w:pPr>
	<w:hyperlink r:id="rId11" w:history="1">
		<w:r w:rsidRPr="005D62B1">
			<w:rStyle w:val="Hyperlink" />
			<w:b />
			<w:sz w:val="28" />
			<w:szCs w:val="28" />
			<w:u w:color="FFFF00" />
			</w:rPr>
			<w:t>Link to Google.com</w:t>
	</w:hyperlink>
</w:p>
1 Like

Hi
Thanks for your request. I will consult with our developers and provide you more information.
Best regards.

Good question.
I don’t see anything in the OOXML specification that says the should or must be used over the HYPERLINK field. Both the w:hyperlink element and HYPERLINK field are valid as far as I can tell. In fact, there are hyperlinks possible that canot be represented using , but can be represented using a HYPERLINK field. For example a hyperlink that includes one or more paragraph breaks.
On one hand, I agree it could be a useful optimization in Aspose.Words that it would write out instead of a HYPERLINK field when it is possible because an XML element might be easier for other OOXML consumers to parse. But on the other hand it is a problem of the other consumer application to support as much of the complexities of the OOXML standard as it could.
I will log this as an enhancement, but I cannot promise a timeframe at this stage unless you point out I’m wrong with understanding of the standard.
By the way, when importing DOCX, Aspose.Words will read both and HYPERLINK properly.