Problem with barcodes in converted PDFA document

Hi,

We are currently working on an issue in which we use a PDF file that needs to be converted to a PDF-A file. But when we look at the converted PDF-A file, we see that some barcodes that are used in the document are not complete.
Is this issue caused by not having the appropiate (and complete) barcode fonts installed on our computer or is it causes by not having the appropiate barcode fonts embedded in the original PDF file? When generating a TIFF file as output, no problems occur regarding the barcodes.

As an alternative, is it possible to generate a PDF-A file without OCR and only as an image (like the TIFF output)?

I attached the original document as an attachment.

Please advice us on how we can handle (PDF) input documents with barcode to generate a correct PDF-A file.

With kind regards,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for using our products.

I
have tested the scenario and I am able to reproduce the same problem. For the
sake of correction, I have logged it in our issue tracking system as PDFNEWNET-34032. We will investigate this
issue in details and will keep you updated on the status of a correction.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

Now concerning to your requirement on converting PDF/A with only Images, in order to accomplish this requirement, first you need to convert the pages of PDF file into Image format and then you can again create a PDF document using these images and can specify the PDF compliance information as PDF/A. Please visit the following link for further details on

Hi Nayyer,

Thank you for your reply.

I’m glad to hear that you can reproduce the same problem on your side and that you have logged it in your issue tracking system.

About the PDF/A with only images, this scenario is our backup scenario and we hope that you can solve the problem we encountered so we are able to generate PDF/A document with text.

Many thanks in advance,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for contacting support.

Please note that our development team is working hard on resolving the earlier reported issue and as soon as we have made significant progress towards its resolution, we would be more than happy to update you with the status of correction. Please be patient and spare us little time.

In case you have any further query, please feel free to contact.

Hi Nayyer,

I’m very curious if the development team has made any progress on our reported issue or that they have an estimation on how long it will take before that can provide us with more information or even better, a solution. The customer for which this problem is occuring is getting a bit impatient, which even could result in looking to alternative solutions. I’ll hope you have some positive feedback so we can reassure the customer that Aspose is the best solution for them.

With kind regards,

Brian

Hi Brian,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I have requested the development team to share the progress and ETA regarding the resolution of your issue. As soon as I get a feedback, I will update you via this forum thread.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

I am pleased to share that the issue reported earlier has been resolved and its HotFix will be included in next release version of Aspose.Pdf for .NET 7.3.0 which is expected to release in early September-2012. Please be patient and wait for the new release.

Your patience and comprehension is greatly appreciated in this regard. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

Hi Nayyer,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback, i’m pleased to hear that the issue has been fixed and will be included in the next release planned in early September.

With kind regards,

Brian

Hi Brian,

During my testing with Aspose.Pdf for .NET 7.3.0, I have observed that BarCode images are properly appearing in resultant document but I am afraid the output file is not PDF/A compliant. In fact the document is not actually convertible and Adobe also cannot convert the document. Please take a look over attached “non_convertible.png” that displays Adobe conversion result.

PS, Aspose.Pdf for .NET 7.3.0 is under testing phase and we plan to release it in a day or two. Please be patient and wait for the new release.

Hi Nayyer,

thank you for your reply. Maybe i’m overlooking it, but I cannot find the “non_convertible.png” file attached.

Do I understand it correctly that it looks like that the problem seems to be solved, but the output cannot be a PDF/A document? And that this could be caused by the source document that contains errors? If the source document is faulty, is it possible to say what is wrong with the source document?

We are looking forward to the release, thanks for the heads-up.

With kind regards,

Brian

Hi Brian,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Please accept our apologies for the missing file. Please find the attached file for reference. Regarding the issue with your template file, our development team will further investigate the issue and we will update you via this forum thread.

Also, you may download and try the latest version of Aspose.Pdf for .NET v7.3 and try it at your end.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Brian_mdv:
Do I understand it correctly that it looks like that the problem seems to be solved, but the output cannot be a PDF/A document? And that this could be caused by the source document that contains errors? If the source document is faulty, is it possible to say what is wrong with the source document?
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your patience and sorry for the delay in replying to above queries.

Please note that you can find the reasons/issues which occurred during PDF to PDF/A conversion in Conversion and validation logs which are generated by Document.Validate(…) and Document.Convert(…) methods. Furthermore, I have also requested the development team to share some details regarding the reasons of these problems. Soon you will be updated with the required information. We are sorry for this delay and inconvenience.
Brian_mdv:
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your patience.

I have discussed this matter in details with development team and have found that due to following two reasons, the resultant file cannot be PDF/A.

1. The document is not tagged pdf.
    We are currently not able to convert regular pdf file to tagged pdf file. Also please note that Adobe is also not able to convert regular Pdf to tagged pdf.
  2. The BarCode fonts don't contain Unicode mapping initially.
    The Pdf/A standard requires the text to be mapped to Unicode.In case the source document does not contain unicode mapping, we are not able to produce valid unicode mapping.

Please note that Adobe is also not able to resolve these issues. We are sorry for your inconvenience.

Hi Nayyer,

thank you very much for your replies. We are very pleased to hear what causes the specific problems with this document. We have enough information to communicate this to our customer.

With kind regards,

Brian