Problem with bullet points in Word to HTML conversion (Internet Explorer 8)

Hello,

when converting the attached Word file to HTML the bullet points are displayed wrong when viewed in Internet Explorer 8. In Internet Explorer 9 the bullet points are OK.

Can you please tell me when this issue can be resolved?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Sacha End.

</div>
								</div>

</div>
								</div>

</div>
								</div>

</div>
								</div>

Hi Sacha,

Thanks for your inquiry. I have managed to reproduce the same issue at my side. I have logged this issue as WORDSNET-7605 in our issue tracking system. I have linked this forum thread to the same issue and you will be notified via this forum thread once this issue is resolved.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. This issue is very important for our customer and I must give him the answer when this issue can be resolved.

Can you tell me please when this issue can be resolved?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Sacha End.

</div>
								</div>

Hi Sacha,

Thanks for your patience.

I am afraid your issue has now been postponed till a later date due to some other important issues and new features. We will inform you as soon as there are any further developments.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

The bullets should all fall within ascii characters 128-255. Some of those characters are not understood by the browsers when reading HTML. You will need to escape those characters.

Loop through every character in your html and convert anything with an ascii 128-255 into &#Number;

For example, the Euro symbol is 128. It should be converted to �
A bullet might be 149. It should be converted to �

Hopefully Aspose can add this as a feature in the Word to HTML conversion process.

Here’s some inefficient pseudo code that will point you in the right direction:
for x in 128 to 255
replace(html,character(x),"&#" & character(x) & “;”)
next x

Hi Rick,

Thanks for sharing the details. Our development team is busy in some other important issues and new features. However, our development team will investigate this issue and we will inform you via this forum thread once there are any further developments.

Regarding bullet characters, please see the attached output HTML for your kind reference. The output file contains the characters (     ).

Keep in mind that I didn’t start this thread.

The   is the same as   I believe. I’m pretty sure that I have my code switch them to   . That shouldn’t be an issue…

The problem is the characters you see after:

My browsers will show the bullets as intended. The browsers are pretty smart. Most everything else isn’t.

My text editors show a square.  They don’t know how to handle or display it.
AsposePDF will not understand those characters as they are. Now if that square  was replaced with it’s equivalent � then it would display much better.

� is the solid round bullet

Hi Rick,

Thanks for sharing the details. We always appreciate positive feedback from our customers.

Please note that the HTML layout engine of Aspose.Words tries to mimic the same behavior as MS Words do. When you load a Word document into Aspose.Words, it builds a DOM (Document Object Model) in memory which allows you to programmatically read, manipulate and modify content and formatting of a Word document.

We will update you via this forum thread once the issue is resolved. Please feel free to ask if you have any question about Aspose.Words, we will be happy to help you.

Thanks for your patience.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-7605) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.