Problem with SSRS installation

I have downloaded the 17.03 zip file (dlls only) and followed the instructions for manual installation (Installation|Documentation). I am able to add the barcode to the toolbox within Visual Studio and can preview reports within Visual Studio and have the barcode appear. I am having a problem with the SSRS installation though.

After doing the manual edits to the two .config files and restarting the SSRS service, when I try to generate a report that contains a barcode, the resulting report does not show the barcode and this error appears in the the SSRS log file:

extensionfactory!ReportServer_0-9!1c28!04/24/2017-20:06:04:: e ERROR: Exception caught instantiating BarCode report server extension: System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly ‘Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices’ or one of its dependencies. This assembly is built by a runtime newer than the currently loaded runtime and cannot be loaded.

File name: ‘Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices’

at System.Reflection.Assembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString)

at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.ExtensionClassFactory.LoadAssembly(String name)

at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.ExtensionClassFactory.<>c__DisplayClass2.b__0()

at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.RevertImpersonationContext.<>c__DisplayClass1.b__0(Object state)

at System.Security.SecurityContext.Run(SecurityContext securityContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.RevertImpersonationContext.Run(ContextBody callback)

at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.ExtensionClassFactory.CreateExtensionObject(Extension extConfig, Boolean typeOnly)

Please advise.

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your inquiry and sharing details.

We have investigated the issue at our end. We have used the information shared by you and tried to reproduce the issue. We are unable to reproduce the issue. We have followed the instructions on the links:

The only additional thing was applying the license. Screenshot of the generated report is attached for your reference. Please give one more try by following the instructions on the above links and share your feedback.

Yes… those are the steps we followed. Just to clarify, the problem is not with the Visual Studio installation. I can develop and preview within Visual Studio without error.

I am unable to view the report once it is published to the report server. When the report is viewed, the area where the barcode should appear is blank and the above error appears in the log file.

Also… the manual instructions make no mention of the .XML file that is included with each .DLL file.

What should be done with the .XML file?

Hi Dan,

We are able to reproduce the said issue at our end. The issue has been logged into our system with ID BARCODEREP-40. Our product team will further look into it and provide feedback. We will update you with the feedback in this forum thread once available.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Regarding XML files with each DLL, this is only the documentation and could be used to browse/explore the DLL. It is a common practice for .NET assemblies. We follow the same approach for all our .NET assemblies. It is OK if the XMLs are not used.