Problems with converting specific xls files

Hi,

We have a problem at one of our customers. They have a large amount of xls files that fail to convert, although there’re lots of other xls that get converted ok. Aspose.Cells throws exception upon loading the stream as a Workbook saying that the format is not supported. But if you save the same file as xlsx then it gets converted with no problem. I’ve attached one of the files with such a behavior, please, take a look.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the template file and details.

I have evaluated your issue using your template file. Well, I noticed your provided spreadsheet has an unsupported format. Please note, Aspose.Cells APIs supports BIFF8 or greater formats (Excel 97 - Excel 2010/2013, Excel 2016) however, the provided sample is of type “Microsoft Excel 5.0/95 Workbook”. Unfortunately, there isn’t a dynamic way to tackle this situation unless you manually change the format of the spreadsheet while using Excel (e.g 2003/2007-2013) application and load the re-saved spreadsheet with Aspose.Cells APIs.

Thank you.

Hi, Amjad,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply!

Hi Amjad,

Is there any chance that Aspose will implement support for Microsoft Excel 5.0/95 Workbook (BIFF5 format)?

We have a lot of customers that still have those file types in their database (one customer has around 5.000), so it would give us huge credit, if we could support it in our service.

Best regards

René Fedderholdt, Product Owner

WorkZone, Product Management

Hi René Fedderholdt,

Well, I am afraid, we might not support any format earlier than MS Excel 97 or so as we only support BIFF8 and greater file format. I remembered I had discussed the matter (about the support of BIFF7 or earlier formats) with one of the developer sometime ago and according to him, they cannot support the older formats. Anyways, I will further check with the product team soon (if there is any chance to support the older format, so we may log a ticket for it (if required)) and get back to you with update.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused!

Thank you.

Hi Amjad,

Thank you for the quick reply.

As mentioned I would really like the functionality, because we have a lot of customers that still have those old files and therefore we need to convert them to PDF.

I really applaud it, if you could check the opportunity as soon as possible, and then give me and update.

Best regards

René Fedderholdt

Hi,

I have discussed it with the concerned developer from product team. I am afraid, we have no plan to support older file formats.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused!

Hi,

Thank you for your try and reply.

@WorkZone,

We recommend you to kindly try upgrading to and use latest version of the product which includes support for older BIFF7 (Excel 95/5.0 - 2003 Workbook) formats with enhancements now:

Also, see the document for supported input and output file formats by Aspose.Cells: