Problems with XLSX formatting in Excel and PDF output

I am attempting to upgrade the XLS template that I am using to generate my Excel and PDF files to the newer XLSX format. However, there are currently quite a large number of of formatting issues in the output. I am attaching my Excel xlsx template that I am using, the .xlsx file output, the PDF file output, and a Word doc containing screen shots of the outputs with the issues circled (as you keep requesting). I want to upgrade to the newer Excel format but won’t be able to until we can get the formatting issues worked out.

Hi,

Thanks for your posting and using Aspose.Cells for .NET.

I was able to reproduce your issues using the latest version:

Aspose.Cells for .NET 7.2.2

We will look into your issues thoroughly and fix them.

We have logged your issue in our database. Once your issue is fixed or we have some other update for you, we will let you know asap.

This issue has been logged as CELLSNET-40751.

Hi,

Thank you for your patience.

I’m afraid but the format of category labels issues is not fixed. As the chart size and the font size are too small, we cannot calculate the automatic Major Unit for category labels. You may consider setting the Major Unit to a proper value to avoid the issue.

What is a “proper” value? If Excel allows a value, isn’t it proper? Or am I missing something? Please clarify, as I don’t really understand what you are telling me.

Hi Mary,

Thank you for your patience first of all.

I have forwarded your concerns to our development team to get an idea about the proper value of Major Unit. We will update you here soon as we get information from the development team.

Hi,

We have worked on your issues and fixed most of them, we will provide you a fix after some additional testing.

We will share full detail about the fix and few issues relating to category labels tomorrow.

Hi,

We have fixed your issues except the format of category labels issue could not be fixed.

Please download and try the latest fix: Aspose.Cells for .NET v7.2.2.7 and let us know your feedback.

So is someone still going to get back to me with what are “proper” values for category labels? I would imagine that Aspose.cells could handle the same values that Excel does, and Excel renders the category labels without any problems. I don’t believe any of this is documented at the moment. Please advise.

Hi,

Please use the latest fix and provide us your feedback.

Since, your chart and font sizes are small, so you must enlarge it so that you could get correct rendering.

For very small charts and fonts, Aspose.Cells cannot perform exactly same calculation and rendering as Excel does because Aspose.Cells uses .NET Graphics API(s) which are managed API(s) and on the other hand, Excel uses Win32 API(s), which are unmanaged API(s).

To render things exactly, we will have to use Win32 API(s) which is not possible for us because we do not want to use unmanaged code in Aspose.Cells for .NET.

I still need to know what the minimum sizes are. And I would think that you probably want to include these limitations in your documentation so that others are made aware of this.

Hi,

Thanks for your posting.

Please provide me your feedback with a latest fix:
Aspose.Cells
for .NET v7.2.2.7

and highlight your issues in screenshot with red circles around them. I will discuss your issues, so that you could get some solution or a workaround if possible.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Hi Mary,

Thank you for using Aspose.Cells and being patient.

Please have a look at the Book1.xlsx in the attachment. We follow the simple rules of excel for rendering the category labels well.

1. If the rotation is automatic, changes to 45 or 90 to reduce the place that the labels occupy.

2. If the major unit is automatic, changes to more big value to reduce the number of labels.
Now, we cannot calculate out the exact rotation and major unit for some cases. You may set the fixed value for the chart to skip the issues.

We have created a simple console application according the excel file that you provide to us. This might not meet your requirements and you can modify the source code base on the excel’s rules and the business data.

We also recommend you to download and use this latest version of: Aspose.Cells V 7.3.0 in your applications.

Thanks for your understanding

Did anyone on your end actually verify the “fixes”? Other than the category formatting issue that you say can’t be fixed, every single one of the issues that I reported are still there in the Excel and PDF outputs using your latest version of Aspose.cells (7.3.0). Please try generating the PDF and Excel files from my example template again and you will see that all of the issues that I reported are still present. This is so frustrating.

Hi,

Thanks for your posting and using Aspose.Cells for .NET

I am sorry for the inconvenience.There are so many bugs relating to pdf rendering reported in this single thread. Each bug should have a separate ticket so that this issue could be dealt more precisely.

I will soon escalate these issues with sample test codes and screenshots.

Hi,

Thanks for your patience.

I have re-logged your issue in our database with critical priority as a separate ticket with id: CELLSNET-40885

Below is a screenshot explaining the issues side by side along with the description file you have provided earlier.

Below is a sample test code to generate the output pdf using the latest version:
Aspose.Cells
for .NET v7.3.0.1

I have also attached the source file, description document and the output pdf for a reference.

C#

string dataFile = @“F:\Shak-Data-RW\Downloads\mryhmln\xlsx1.xlsx”;

Workbook workbook = new Workbook(dataFile);

workbook.Save(dataFile + “.out.pdf”);

Screenshot:

thank you. just one quick thing that i noticed though. your screenshot seems to be missing a few of my original comments. for one thing, in the first
chart on the upper left, in my original attachment i noted that there is
a weird equation showing up in the body of the chart (you can see it
slightly in your screenshot). also i commented on a few more chart titles that looked different.

Hi,

Yes, I can notice that there is
a weird equation showing up in the body of the chart.

I will forward it to development team so that it could also be fixed.

We will also check the bugs against your Ms-Word description document in next fix.

Weird Equation Highlighted With Pink Rectangle

Hi,

Please download and try this fix: Aspose.Cells for .NET v7.3.0.3
1) We fixed the label of trend line in the first chart.

2) The y-axis labels don’t match Excel in the
second chart cannot be fixed. You may set the major unit to 200 to solve these kind of issues.
3) Please run and refer to the attached code segment to avoid
the category labels issues.
4) We are still investigating the font size being incorrect
issues in the shape text.

<o:p></o:p>

The issues you have found earlier (filed as CELLSNET-40751) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.