Python Aspose using RC2 for encryption

I’m attempting to compile aspose.words for an internal python application and we ran into the following error when attempting to save a doc…

Cannot get required symbol EVP_rc2_cbc from libssl
Fatal Python error: Aborted

After further research it looks like RC2 is found to be a security risk and disabled from our OpenSSL package. Can Aspose encrypt with something more secure? Perhaps RC5?

Is there an option for modifying this?

@chrisfll
We have opened the following new ticket(s) in our internal issue tracking system and will deliver their fixes according to the terms mentioned in Free Support Policies.

Issue ID(s): WORDSNET-26571

You can obtain Paid Support Services if you need support on a priority basis, along with the direct access to our Paid Support management team.

@chrisfll,
Please provide steps to reproduce the issue. Thanks.

It’s a bit difficult because it works locally but when interacting with our build system is when we get the error.

I imported the wheel file to our package system and attempted to run from that environment and that’s when I get the error. This error is from our internal systems block rc2, since it’s deprecated (it also looks like rc5 is as well.)

After all that, that’s when I get the error above.

@chrisfll If possible, could you please emulate your target environment using Dockerfile and provide it here for testing? This will help us to reproduce and analyze the problem.

I cannot unfortunately - Amazon policy won’t let me do that.
With that said I know the issue is that RC2 is disabled in our Openssl build - this is causing the .net to not have the EVP_rc2_cbc from libssl

If there is a way to override that need (as I dont believe we need the features that utilize it) then we can do that. Otherwise I’ll have to find a workaround

@chrisfll Unfortunately, at the moment there is no way to exclude this dependency and we cannot further analyze the issue without ability to reproduce it on our side.