Question on Aspose unintentional number bulleting

A function of our application builds an RTF file from text (which is sent to us), and we use Aspose in the function.
We found that when the received text looks like bullets, the resulting RTF will show this as bullets, even when they are not.
For example a text of:

1. some data.
    2.7 cm.

Will result in RTF showing:

1.   some data.

2.   7 cm.

Is this expected behavior, or a bug in the Aspose conversion method?
Is there a way to stop the bulleting entirely? Some other workaround?

Thanks.

@Aryef,

Please compress the following resources into ZIP format and attach the .zip file here for testing:

• A simplified source Text file
  • RTF document showing the undesired behavior
  • Please also create a standalone simplified Console Application (source code without compilation errors) that helps us to reproduce this problem on our end and attach it here for testing. Please do not include DLL files in it to reduce the file size.

As soon as you get these pieces of information ready, we will then start investigation into your particular issue and provide you more information.

Hi, thank you for the assistance.
Unfortunately I am without development support to compile the requested simulation app.
However, I can offer a description of the code used:

1. Text file - in the attached .zip
  2. RTF output - in the attached .zip

IN&OUTfiles.zip (1.7 KB)

1. Function code:
using System;
using System.Text;
using Kodak.RISr2.Interface;
using Kodak.RISr2.Mapper.MappingFunctions;
using r2DocumentConverter;

namespace r2MappingFunctions.MappingFunctions
{
    public class ConvertFromTextToRTFUsingAspose : BaseMappingFunction
    {
		private static string Font = r2iConfiguration.Instance.ExternalReportingDefaultRTFConvertFont;

public override string getTag()
        {
            return "{convertFromTextToRTFUsingAspose}";
        }

public override string getValue()
		{
			return getDATAFromDoc(System.Text.Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(Arguments["text"]));
		}

public static string getDATAFromDoc(byte[] docBytes)
		{
			string strReturnvalue = "";

try
			{
				Doc2PdfConverter.GetInstance().performAsposeLicenceLoad();
				byte[] RTFDoc = Doc2PdfConverter.GetInstance().convertRightNowWithEncodingAndFont(docBytes, Doc2PdfConverter.ConversionMethodType.Aspose, Doc2PdfConverter.DocumentFormat.Rtf, Encoding.UTF8, Font);
				strReturnvalue = System.Text.Encoding.UTF8.GetString(RTFDoc);

int tmp = strReturnvalue.LastIndexOf('}');
				if (tmp < strReturnvalue.Length - 1)
				{
					strReturnvalue = strReturnvalue.Remove(tmp + 1);
				}
			}
			catch (Exception e)
			{
				strReturnvalue = e.StackTrace + "\n" + e.Message;
			}

return strReturnvalue;
		}
	}
}

Would that be sufficient?
Thank you.
Arye.

@Aryef,

The RTF file “resulting_rtf.rtf” that you shared was actually produced by using an old 20.9 version of Aspose.Words for .NET. Please upgrade to the latest (21.6) version of Aspose.Words for .NET and see how it goes on your end? In case the problem still remains, then we need a simplified Console Application (source code without compilation errors ) to be able to reproduce this problem on our end. Also, we get this RTF file (21.6.zip (1.3 KB)) when converting this .txt to .rtf format by using the following simple code:

Document doc = new Document("C:\\Temp\\IN&OUTfiles\\Input_text.txt");
doc.Save("C:\\Temp\\IN&OUTfiles\\21.6.rtf");

Hi.
Thanks a lot for the reply.
Please a question - is the issue reproducible in your lab on 20.9?
Is 21.6 fixes a known bug in this area?
Thank you.

@Aryef

I am afraid, I am even not able to reproduce this problem when using 20.9 version on my end (see 20.9.zip (1.3 KB)). Can you please provide a simplified Console Application (source code without compilation errors) to be able to reproduce this problem on my end. Thanks for your cooperation.

Hi.
If it was not reproduced on 20.9, I am doubtful that the issue resolution could be 21.6.
Thank you.

@Aryef,

Unfortunately, it is difficult to say what the actual problem is without the source code (simplified but complete console application). We need this console application to be able to reproduce the exact problem on our end.

Hi Aspose.
Last year we were discussing this, and it was suggested to update our Aspose version. We have done this in our application, but the issue remains.
Per your request, I attach here a small console app to simulate what is happening in our app.
You can run the .exe in ConvertTextToRTFTester2\ConvertTextToRTFTester2\bin\Debug .
In the same folder you can find the .txt which is the input for our simulation here.
Source code is also included.
Please your assistance understanding this issue and addressing it?
Thanks a lot.
Arye F.
ConvertTextToRTFTester2.zip (5.8 MB)

@Aryef Thank you for additional information. I have managed to reproduce the problem on my side. The problem is already logged as WORDSNET-23562. We will keep you informed and let you know once it is resolved.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-23562) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for Java 22.9 update also available on Maven.

Hi.
Thank you.
Following your instructions to upgrade our Aspose version to the latest version, we wanted to make sure our license will still work. Aspose_license.png (42.7 KB)
In case it won’t work, what do we need to do to get a license that will be supported? Is there a renewing policy?
Thanks.

@Aryef If you want to check when your subscription expires, open the license file in Notepad (but take care not to modify and save the license file or it will no longer work) and see the SubscriptionExpiry field.

<SubscriptionExpiry>20220218</SubscriptionExpiry>

It means that you can free upgrade to version of Aspose.Words published before 02/18/2022.

Hello there,

My name is Oleg, I work with Arye and he has been helping me with this issue. I’ve opened my user to follow up on Aryef’s question.

In our environment I see in the lic file the date is 20220921:

<SubscriptionExpiry>20220921</SubscriptionExpiry>

However, when debugging our app, I’m failing to load the license and getting the following error:

{"The subscription included in this license allows free upgrades until 21 Sep 2021, but this version of the product was released on 01 Sep 2022. Please renew the subscription or use a previous version of the product."}

I did not overwrite or change the .lic file, so I don’t understand why I am getting this error. Can you help us please? :slight_smile:

@olegpu Could you please send me your license for testing? Post your license file via private message. In order to send a private message with attachment, click on Aspose staff name in the forum and find “Message” button.

I will check it on my side and provide you more information.

Hi Alexey,

I’ve zipped the file and attached it.

Thanks,
Oleg

@olegpu Thank you for additional information. I have tested your license file with the latest 22.9 version of Aspose.Words and it works as expected. It looks like there is another license in your project that is used and which is expired. Please try specifying explicit file path to the new license file.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I’ll double check it again and see if I find the culprit.

1 Like

I have found the culprit. It is, of course, on our side. Thank you for the help!

1 Like