Re: Aspose.Word

Dear mike,

You’re at the right time for the right thing: Roman is working on Aspose.Word.

Soon he will come here to post about what will be available in the first public release, hopefully available in next month.

But could you please post more about what’s most urgent you’re hoping to get for the first public release?

Thanks for your contribution.

Dear mike,

You’re at the right time for the right thing: Roman is working on Aspose.Word.

Soon he will come here to post about what will be available in the first public release, hopefully available in next month.

But could you please post more about what’s most urgent you’re hoping to get for the first public release?

Thanks for your contribution.

Ben,

I took a quick poll of the IBM developers here on the Nissan contract, and it seems like the most useful feature would be Mail Merge.

What we do now is create .doc files with mail merge fields embedded in them, and then via a client server app, instanciate Word and do the mail merge from code.

Our need would be to do Word Automation in the same way that Aspose did the Excel automation (not instanciating the component on the server) and,

1.) Be able to load a document file that contain mail merge fields into the object
2.) Kick off the mail merge (against a SQL server or Oracle backend).
3.) Output the merged document to word for printing.
4.) Do all of the above for the mail merge of labels.

We are currently shopping for a Word component like this. However, if Aspose has one available, with this functionality in a few months, I would definately recommend purchasing it based on how satisfied we are with the Excel component.

Best Regards,
Michael Minadeo
IBM Global Services
Nissan Account

I have to agree with Mike… Aspose.Word (Supporting Mail Merge) would be a very nice control. Word has become such a standard tool and being able to create “form-type” mergable documents / letters would be a very nice feature… Especially in a web environment.

Many Thanks,
Danny

Hi, I’m working full speed on Aspose.Word.

The plan for the first release was just what you are asking for:
1. Read a Word file with merge fields inside it.
2. Fill the merge fields in the document from a data set (could be from any source, including SQL server).
3. Output resulting documents (I think one document per record from the data set) into Word files.

The work so far included reading of a document and interpreting its content.
I’m about to start work on the actual meging part.
Writing the output into a file will follow.

In 1-2 weeks time we are going to have an internal release that will merge data and write output into a simple text file, not into a Word file. The release will have proper client interface. Please let us know if you want to try it out, we might be able to provide it so you can start developing your code without waiting for Aspose.Word to be fully finished.

Roman,

We would be very interested in getting a copy of Aspose.Word as soon as possible.

Once we demo, Aspose.Excel, I would like to keep the momentum going by demoing Aspose.Word soon after, as we will need both these products. My hope is that these products can serve as a replacement to the Office Automation application we are in the process of writing for our web server.

Best Regards,
Michael Minadeo
IBM Global Services
Nissan Account

Hello Mike,

Beta version of Aspose.Word has been released. This version allows to read a Word file, perform mail merge operation and save content as a TXT file only.

There is no installer, it is just a DLL. You can download it from Download Word® Document Processing C# Library | Aspose.Words.

Please check the API Reference.

Here is an example how to use the component:

Aspose.Word app = new Aspose.Word();
Aspose.Document doc = app.Open(“InputFile.doc”);

//This method takes two parameters.
//First parameter is an array of string with names of the mail merge fields.
//Second parameter is an array of objects with values to be inserted into those fields.
doc.MailMerge(
new string[] {“FirstName”, “Location”, “TestField1”},
new object[] {“James Bond”, “M5 Headquarters”, “Good day!”});

doc.SaveAs(“OutputFile.txt”);

Hello Mike,

I think Ben started another thread and I’m just wondering if you saw the replies I’m posting there.

Dear Danny and Mike,

Please check New Release 1.0 and its Hot Fixes.