Read word document - Stream

From the demos provided, I see where you allow for a image file to be read in from a memory stream. How do I do this for my base word doc (vb .net)?

Please provide a snippet of code.

Thanks!

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Aspose.Word.

Do you mean the ProductCatalog demo and use of the merge handler? If so, just set MergeImageFieldEventArgs.ImageStream to a stream object:

Private Sub HandleMergeImage(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As MergeImageFieldEventArgs)

If e.FieldName = “PictureFileName” Then

'…

e.ImageStream = imageStream

End If

End Sub

If you mean something else, please elaborate your question.

Thanks for your quick response.
Actually, I just wanted to read in my base word document from a filestream...
Which after reading through the doc files I was able to do so without any issues:

Dim FS As New FileStream(strFilePath, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read)
Dim doc As Aspose.Word.Document = word.Open(FS)

That seems to be working just fine and I've been able to successfully pull the data from my db create a word document and then a pdf.

However, I am having problems figuring out how to handle the presentation of the word document. I need to display the contents of the DOC or PDF to the clients after the program has completed its routines. I know that this would be pretty easy if I was in a web environment but unfortunately that's not an option for me.

I would suppose that your app doesn't handle the presentation but only the conversion and creation bit. Is this correct?

My first thought was to use:

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("...document string...")

This works just fine. However, in order to use this statement I have to actually save the file and can't leave it in memory. Any thoughts on how I can get around this? Basically I want to prevent file locks by using the filestream and then have the filestream passed into a word document without having to save the name. Saving the name would be a mess in the large user environment that I would be operating under.

Thanks for your quick response.

Cheers,

You are right, Aspose.Word has no visual functionality at the moment. Also, MS Word cannot load a document from memory, so using Process.Start as you have mentioned seems to be the only applicable way.

Understandable.
I could see why you wouldn’t get into the presentation bit.
Anythought on how I can still keep this as a memory stream? I really don’t want to save the file…

Thanks!

Gave this some more thought and actually read your first comment.
As this is not possible, I am going to playaround with some of the default options in .Net to create unique filenames.

In case someone else is reading this thread, I ended up using something similar to:

Dim tempfilepathname As String = System.IO.Path.GetTempFileName() Dim path = System.IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(tempfilepathname) Dim filename = System.IO.Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(tempfilepathname) Dim filepath = path + filename doc.Save(filepath + “.doc”)

I added on the “.doc” as a literal so that I can reuse the same filename for creating a pdf.

I noticed that you have a beta version of a Aspose.Word.Viewer. Will this new feature allow me to output the rendered document via a stream (Without Having to Save the File)?
Thanks!!

Kind Regards.

Yes, using GetPage and GetPages properties of DocumentRenderer object you can acquire document pages rendered into bitmaps and send them over a stream.

Excellent!
I am planning on purchasing your componet by the end of this month – If I purchase the Enterprise Edition will this functionality be included?
I believe that I saw this in another post but just wanted to confirm.

Thank you for your quick responses!!

Kind Regards.

Yes, Aspose.Word.Viewer is included in Enterprise Edition pack. Please mind that now it is still in beta stage - the release is planned for March-April 2006.