Rectangle with image as fill with Table in Report causes Aspose Slides to get exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I created a simple one page MSRS report, that has a rectangle with an image as fill, Inside the rectangle, I add a table to it. When I render in the browser, and then try to save as PPTX, I get an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." error.

If I remove the rectangle "fill" image, the report then renders.

I think I may be doing something wrong, but not sure. Please look soon, as I have a customer demo this Wednesday, and a pre-demo meeting tomorrow.

Below is the error information from the Reporting Services log. Attached is a test report against adventure works DB.

library!ReportServer_0-1!24dbc!02/28/2011-11:01:17:: i INFO: RenderFromSession('/TestReports/TestTable')
reportrendering!ReportServer_0-1!24dbc!02/28/2011-11:01:19:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.UnhandledReportRenderingException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.UnhandledReportRenderingException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.OnDemandReportRendering.ReportRenderingException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at cj.Export(Image image, RectangleF rect, Int32 pageWidth, Int32 pageHeight, String hyperLinkURL)
at eq.a(ah a, c a, PointF a, RectangleF a)
at fn.a(f a, RectangleF a, RectangleF a)
at fn.a(et a, RectangleF a, Boolean a, RectangleF a, Boolean a, Boolean a)
at fn.a(u a, RectangleF a)
at fn.a(dk a, Int32 a, l a, br a)
at Aspose.Slides.ReportingServices.RendererBase.Render(Report report, NameValueCollection deviceInfo, Hashtable renderProperties, CreateAndRegisterStream createAndRegisterStream)
at Aspose.Slides.ReportingServices.RendererBase.Render(Report report, NameValueCollection reportServerParameters, NameValueCollection deviceInfo, NameValueCollection clientCapabilities, Hashtable& renderProperties, CreateAndRegisterStream createAndRegisterStream)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Aspose.Slides.ReportingServices.RendererBase.Render(Report report, NameValueCollection reportServerParameters, NameValueCollection deviceInfo, NameValueCollection clientCapabilities, Hashtable& renderProperties, CreateAndRegisterStream createAndRegisterStream)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessing.RenderFromOdpSnapshot(IRenderingExtension newRenderer, String streamName, ProcessingContext pc, RenderingContext rc)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---;
library!ReportServer_0-1!24dbc!02/28/2011-11:01:20:: i INFO: Exception UnhandledReportRenderingException dumped to: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\Logfiles flags= ReferencedMemory, AllThreads, SendToWatson
library!ReportServer_0-1!24dbc!02/28/2011-11:01:20:: w WARN: Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.UnhandledReportRenderingException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.OnDemandReportRendering.ReportRenderingException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
webserver!ReportServer_0-1!24dbc!02/28/2011-11:01:20:: e ERROR: Reporting Services error Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.RSException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.UnhandledReportRenderingException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.OnDemandReportRendering.ReportRenderingException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
ui!ReportManager_0-2!24830!02/28/2011-11:01:20:: Unhandled exception: Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportServerException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. (rrRenderingError) ---> Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportServerException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportServerException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.ServerUrlRequest(Boolean isAbortable, String url, Stream outputStream, String& mimeType, String& fileNameExtension)
at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.InternalRender(Boolean isAbortable, String format, String deviceInfo, NameValueCollection urlAccessParameters, Stream reportStream, String& mimeType, String& fileNameExtension)
at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerModeSession.RenderReport(String format, Boolean allowInternalRenderers, String deviceInfo, NameValueCollection additionalParams, Boolean cacheSecondaryStreamsForHtml, String& mimeType, String& fileExtension)
at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ExportOperation.PerformOperation(NameValueCollection urlQuery, HttpResponse response)
at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.HttpHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
library!ReportServer_0-1!254cc!02/28/2011-11:02:32:: i INFO: RenderFromSession('/TestReports/TestTable')
reportrendering!ReportServer_0-1!254cc!02/28/2011-11:02:34:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.UnhandledReportRenderingException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.UnhandledReportRenderingException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.OnDemandReportRendering.ReportRenderingException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at cj.Export(Image image, RectangleF rect, Int32 pageWidth, Int32 pageHeight, String hyperLinkURL)
at Aspose.Slides.ReportingServices.RendererBase.Render(Report report, NameValueCollection deviceInfo, Hashtable renderProperties, CreateAndRegisterStream createAndRegisterStream)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessing.RenderFromOdpSnapshot(IRenderingExtension newRenderer, String streamName, ProcessingContext pc, RenderingContext rc)
library!ReportServer_0-1!254cc!02/28/2011-11:02:36:: i INFO: Exception UnhandledReportRenderingException dumped to: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\Logfiles flags= ReferencedMemory, AllThreads, SendToWatson
library!ReportServer_0-1!254cc!02/28/2011-11:02:36:: w WARN: Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.UnhandledReportRenderingException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.OnDemandReportRendering.ReportRenderingException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
webserver!ReportServer_0-1!254cc!02/28/2011-11:02:36:: e ERROR: Reporting Services error Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.RSException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.UnhandledReportRenderingException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.OnDemandReportRendering.ReportRenderingException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
ui!ReportManager_0-2!24830!02/28/2011-11:02:36:: Unhandled exception: Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportServerException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. (rrRenderingError) ---> Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportServerException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportServerException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.ServerUrlRequest(Boolean isAbortable, String url, Stream outputStream, String& mimeType, String& fileNameExtension)
at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.InternalRender(Boolean isAbortable, String format, String deviceInfo, NameValueCollection urlAccessParameters, Stream reportStream, String& mimeType, String& fileNameExtension)
at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerModeSession.RenderReport(String format, Boolean allowInternalRenderers, String deviceInfo, NameValueCollection additionalParams, Boolean cacheSecondaryStreamsForHtml, String& mimeType, String& fileExtension)
at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ExportOperation.PerformOperation(NameValueCollection urlQuery, HttpResponse response)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
library!ReportServer_0-1!25534!02/28/2011-11:07:13:: i INFO: RenderFromSession('/TestReports/TestTable')
reportrendering!ReportServer_0-1!25534!02/28/2011-11:07:16:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.UnhandledReportRenderingException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.UnhandledReportRenderingException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.OnDemandReportRendering.ReportRenderingException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
library!ReportServer_0-1!25534!02/28/2011-11:07:17:: i INFO: Exception UnhandledReportRenderingException dumped to: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\Logfiles flags= ReferencedMemory, AllThreads, SendToWatson
library!ReportServer_0-1!25534!02/28/2011-11:07:17:: w WARN: Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.UnhandledReportRenderingException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.OnDemandReportRendering.ReportRenderingException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
webserver!ReportServer_0-1!25534!02/28/2011-11:07:17:: e ERROR: Reporting Services error Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.RSException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.UnhandledReportRenderingException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.OnDemandReportRendering.ReportRenderingException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
ui!ReportManager_0-2!252e8!02/28/2011-11:07:17:: Unhandled exception: Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportServerException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. (rrRenderingError) ---> Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportServerException: An error occurred during rendering of the report. ---> Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportServerException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Hi Kurt,

I have worked with the shared RDL file using Aspose.Slides for Reporting Services and have been able to observe the issue specified. An issue with ID 24836 has been created in our issue tracking system to further investigate and resolve the issue. This thread has also been linked with the issue so that you may be automatically notified once the issue is resolved.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,

I found a workaround. I can set the background image on the Report Properties.

FYI:

I am generating pptx with multiple slides, one chart and one table per slide. I also want it to display in "normal" slides in a slide show in ppt in the U.S. I also want every slide to have a background with the company logo and some other nice coloring. The only way I can find to do this is to set:

1) Report page properties to landscape with page size 11in X 8.5 inch. 3) Set my background image as a report property. 3) For the body, set the size to 11in X (# of slides * 8.5in). 4) Add a rectangle for each slide, and set its size to 11in X 8.5in. 5) Each rectangle is placed in the body at location "0in, (slide # - 1) * 8.5in.". 6) Place the contents for each slide into the corresponding rectangle.

I also had a problem where the tablix would retain whitespace and create blank slides. In 2008 MSRS, the way around this is to set the report property "ConsumeContainerWhitespace" to "true" (this is new in MSRS 2008).

Is there a better way to do this? I am still learning about MSRS and Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS). Also, there should be a demo for this where it generates a ppt that is like a normal ppt, and these examples should be downloadable. I spent all day today getting this to work.

Thanks!

Hello Dear,

I have observed the requirements shared by you and the work around adopted by you also seems to be sound as long as table issue get resolved as shared in my earlier post. I regret to share that unfortunately we may not have any demos related to generating reports. However, you may please visit demo section for observing different AdventureWorks reports demos and their exports to PPT or PPTX. Please share with us, if I may help you any further.

Thanks and Regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESREP-24836) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.