Reduce PDF File Size

Hi,

We’re new to Aspose, so any help here would be appreciated.

Currently, we use ABCPdf to create PDF documents, but we have recently aquired an Aspose licence, so are looking to migrate to Aspose.Pdf.

One problem currently presents itself - the file size! Most of the PDF files we create are just TIF images (i.e. take hundreds of TIF images and produce one PDF). Using ABCPdf, and a sample of 300-400 images, the file size of the PDF was ~ 7/8MB. Using Aspose, it was ~233MB.

Using OptimizeResources(), and degrading the image quality got it down to ~ 60MB, but this is still far too big.

Are there any other ways we can reduce the size of the PDF?

Also, as part of using OptimizeResources, I’ve set UnembedFonts = true, however it looks like a font is still embedded…

Many thanks

Hi Dan,

Thanks for contacting support.

The OptimizeResources() is used to reduce the PDF file size. However if you are encountering any issue, please share some input TIFF images, so that we can test the scenario in our environment. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I’ve attached 2 zips - images.zip contains some samples and AsposeTest25.zip contains some PDFs.

AsposeTest.pdf uses OptimiseResources() but does not use the CompressImages option, where AsposeTest25 uses CompressImages and sets ImageQuality to 25.

This example produces an 8mb and a 2mb PDF, but when compared to the original images sizes, and the size of the AbcPdfTest PDF, is quite large!
If this is scaled up to a few hundred images, the issue is a lot more noticeable.

If there is a way to reduce the size that I don’t know of, that would be great!

Cheers

1 Like

Hi Dan,

Thanks for sharing the resource files.

I have tested the scenario and have managed to reproduce same problem. For the sake of correction, I have logged it as PDFNET-40982 in our issue tracking system. We will further look into the details of this problem and will keep you posted on the status of correction. Please be patient and spare us little time. We are sorry for this inconvenience.
Hi Aspose team,

this fits to my previous reported questions about improvement of PDF compression. I tested also some other components and Web tools (like www.smallpdf.com) and in general they are all producing smaller PDF files.

If you can improve compression that will be really appreciated.

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your feedback. We have recorded your concern, our product team will schedule the issue investigation an resolution as per their plan. We will keep you updated about the issue resolution progress.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.

Best Regards,

Hi,

Have you any idea when you might be able to look in to this?
It’s quite a significant problem, meaning we can’t use Aspose in most of our apps.

btcdk:
Hi,

Have you any idea when you might be able to look in to this?
It's quite a significant problem, meaning we can't use Aspose in most of our apps.
Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your patience.

I am afraid the earlier reported issue is still pending for review and is not yet resolved. However I have shared your concerns with product team and they will surely consider them during the resolution of this problem. As soon as we have some definite updates, we will let you know.

Hi,

Any idea when that might be? We have paid for the product, and still cannot use it for the primary reason we bought it!

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your inquriy. I am afraid your issue is still not resolved, as product team is busy in resolving other issues in the queue. However we have recorded your concern and raised the issue priority. We have also.requested our product team to investigate and share an update at their earliest. We will notify you as soon as some update is available.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.

Best Regards,

I am also VERY interested in the response from the product team.

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your patience.

Your concerns have been recorded with product team and they are further looking into this matter. As soon as we have some definite updates regarding its resolution, we will let you know.

I have just use aspose pdf to produce 6 pdfs from tiff images. The number of tiff images ranged from 24 to 61 tiffs.
After production, the file size ranged fro 24 mb to 60 mb.
Then I use adobe acrobat open and save as reduced size PDF.
The result was the biggest pdf was reduced from 60 mb to 2.5 mb
and the 24 mb reduced to 1.5 mb.

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for contacting support.

Aspose.Pdf for .NET also offers the feature to Optimize PDF File Size. In case you still face any issue, please share the input files and code snippet, so that we can test the scenario in our environment. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as PDFNET-40982) have been fixed in Aspose.PDF for .NET 24.2.