Regarding a single excel file being used by multiple users in ASP.NET

Hello Team,

I have a case, where in an excel file (containing some formulae), needs to be shared (from a web server) between various users that log in to the application (Web based ASP.NET). Each user inputs some data, this data needs to be given to the excel, which would then do some calculations based on the formulae to give back the output.

I learned from a colleague that this is possible using ASPOSE package. Hence need your help in this.

Is this really possbile and is there any limit to the number of users that can access the excel sheet?

Thank you,

Prashant Kapoor

Hi,

Well, I am afraid, Aspose.Cells for .NET follows an object model where a single file cannot be shared among multiple users simultaneously, so, we do not support your need.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Hi,

We think for your case, you should copy file (separate file) to each user, then get the data from a user’s modified data. Finally put/merge them to the file.

Thank you.

Hello Amjad,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that i would need to create a copy of file for each user that is trying to access the file.

However, I am a little concerned about the overall performance of the system.

To give you a detailed picture of my requirement, I have around 15-20 Excel files which contain several formuale to do the calculations. There are various input fields including combo boxes (DropDown). At any given time there may be around 10-12 users accessing these files through a web based application to perform the calculations.

Request you to help me if Aspose.Cells would be useful in this scenario. And also how would the performance of the system be affected?

Thank you,

Prashant Kapoor

Hi,

"To give you a detailed picture of my requirement, I
have around 15-20 Excel files which contain several formuale to do the
calculations. There are various input fields including combo boxes
(DropDown). At any given time there may be around 10-12 users accessing
these files through a web based application to perform the calculations."

Well, Aspose.Cells for .NET is a pure .NET component, written in managed C#, so concurrency and multi-threading is not the problem as long as different users are using different Excel files. We have also optimized performance to certain extent in recent versions, we have enhanced the internal modules of the component, so that users can handle big tasks without any issue. I think you may use our latest version e.g v.4.8.2.x to give it a try.

If you find any performance issue or other issue, kindly let us know, we will check it soon.

Thank you.