Remove Slide creates invalid ppt - Opens in PowerPoint with error message- PowerPoint was unable to Display some of the text

I take an existing powerpoint that has two "normal" slides and I remove the first one.

PowerPoint was unable to display some of the text, images, or objects on slides in the
file, filename.ppt, because they have become corrupted. Effected slides
have been replaced by blank slides in the presentation and it is not possible to recover
the lost information. To ensure that the file can be opened in previous versions of
PowerPoint, use the Save As command (File menu) and save the file with either the
same or a new name.

Now, the original file is valid, and the output looks correct, but MS is giving the error that it isn't.

I'm using MS Office 2003 - (11.6564.6568) SP2

Please take a look and let me know what I might be doing wrong.

Thanks for your time.

Phil

Dear Phil,

Probably this problem exists in SP2 only.

I opened both files (source and created one) with PowerPoint 2000, XP and 2003 (without SPs).

No any error messages and slide looks absolutely correct.

After short investigation I can tell one thing. First slide contains VB macro.

We don’t parse macros at all so after deleting first slide macro is not deleted and

in theory MS PowerPoint can throw errors because of that.

But as I wrote I didn’t get any errors.

Try to delete macros.

The "code" had no content, nor should any presentation I expect to work with contain content.

What's interesting is that after I removed the "code"- I deleted the module and when I go to the VBA editor, I don't see any classes, modules etc. - the size of the file is still 4K bigger than if I recreate the file from scratch.

So, it appears that if you create code, then remove it, there is still a difference in the presentation, which may be my problem.

So, to branch my question then:

1) It appears that once any user has any vb macro (whether it contains code or not), they have done something that cannot be recovered from using MS Powerpoint. Importing the slide to another presentation carries along the phantom "code". In your experience, does this sound correct?

2) My goal in removing slides is to separate a presenation into several presentations, one for each slide. Do you have an algorithm for doing this that doesn't have this problem?

Thank you for your time.

Phil

Bigger size of ppt is normal. It depends on many things. The main is internal structure of ppt file.

Also probably you have incremental saving (aka fast saving) turned on.

If you do “Save As…” file will become smaller again.

1. VB macros can be saved in different parts of ppt file. In your case
    macro added to an object (slide) and it will be “phantom” after
    deleting slide. But if macro added to the root of ppt you can delete
    slides without any problem.

2. I’d suggest using presentation with one empty slide as template. You
    can clone each slide of your ppt to this template, delete first slide
    and save results to separate files. It works slower but more safe now.

That appears to have worked wonderfully. I guess when I finally gave up on not using a blank presentation, things fell into place nicely.

Thank you for your help.

Phil