Replacing text with fields

I have several documents which have text in the format “[M99]” that I want to replace with a fieldcode with the same name. I’ve tried using the DocumentBuilder but it seems that the margin notes in the documents (which are in frames) throw off the insertion point because I end up with all of the fieldcodes and surrounding text in the first margin note rather than interspersed within the body. A test document without margin notes works.

If I instead want to parse the document nodes, can I build essentially a FieldCode node and insert it or can you only insert a field by calling DocumentBuilder.InsertField()? Or better yet, am I simply missing something when using the DocumentBuilder?

Attached is my code and documents.

Thanks,
Joe

You are doing everything right. Just one detail to add - you need to position builder before insertion. Add the following line in your code:

while (m.Success) {

builder.MoveTo(run); // add this line

builder.Write(runText.Substring(0, m.Index));

// ...

and it will work fine.

BTW, good job with the FixVisitor class. Do you mind if I'll put it in one of our howto articles?

Perfect, that did it. Please feel free to use the code in any way you wish. As always, thanks for the blazingly quick response.

Joe