Resource Attributes

Have you changed the way ASPOSE handles resource attributes
from version 5.5 to version 6.3? For example:

A resource has an attribute associated with it in a xml file
that when imported to MSP it causes that resources to be listed as the first
resource for a particular task. However, when the mpp file is run back thorough
ASPOSE 6.3 it strips that attribute from the resource, but if I run the mpp
file through version 5.5 the attribute remains with the resource. This leads me
to believe that ASPOSE has changed how an attribute associated with a resource is
handled.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for contacting Aspose support team.

I would like to share that all the changes in new releases are always present here with each new release. I am afraid that I could not find any such change which effects the handling of resource attributes.

Could you please assist us to re-produce the scenario here by providing sample XML file and sample console application which can be used with ver 5.5 and ver 6.3 to observe the issue? Also identify the resource and attribute whose behavior is different in both the versions and any steps or instructions to re-produce problem. It will help us to analyze it and provide solution as soon as possible.

Your cooperation is highly appreciated in this regard.

Hello

There are two console sites. One is running ASPOSE 6.3 (a beta site) http://beta.cadenceprojectmaster.com

And the other is a live site that is running ASPOSE 5.5
https://cadenceprojectmaster.com

I have set up logins on both sites for you

Username: noreply@aspose.com

Password: ASPOSE01

I have also place a sample project in your account.

Attached are xml files from each site.

The attribute is that resources are assigned to a task by giving them either a dot by their name or a circle dot by their name. If a person has a circle dot by their name they are responsible for that task. A dot means they are contributing to that task. Currently with ASPOSE 6.3 when the file is imported back to Projectmaster the circle dot is removed from the resource only leaving the dot. Thus causing confusion over who is responsible for the task. However, if the mpp file is imported to the live site running ASPOSE5.5 the circle dot remains assigned to the resource.

My analysis of the problem went as follows:

Test one. I created a project on the live ProjectMaster site, exported the file to xml, imported it into MSP 2007, saved as mpp imported the mpp file to the beta ProjectMaster site. Results no circle dots.

Test two. I created a project on the beta ProjectMaster site, exported the file to xml, imported it into MSP 2007, saved as mpp, imported the mpp file to live ProjectMaster site. Result, had circle dots!

My conclusion is that the export feature of ASPOSE works as it should which is supported by the fact that the resources appear in the proper order in MSP. Something is occurring on import. It could be from MSP or ASPOSE. But because this is 2007 and it works fine on the live site and nothing has changed with MSP it has to be the import side of ASPOSE. Something on the live site is different than on the beta site when the mpp file is imported that is causing the circle dots to not show on the beta site, but show on the live site.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Thanks

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I am sorry for the delayed response.We are investigating the issue on our end and will share the feedback with you as soon as the investigation will be completed on our end.

Hi Kevin,

I have analyzed this issue at my end and I have some queries that will be helpful in further investigation.

1. Could you please share a short guide about how to use your hosted websites for reproducing this issue at our end using these sites? Also, please share how to observe the dotted circles in these outputs?

2. Could you please share the Attribute name based on which the dot or circular dot is assigned? This will help us first check the assigned resource in MSP and then observe the issue mentioned by you.

3. I have analyzed the XML files shared by you. As per your shared information, these are created with the two versions that are running on the sites that you have mentioned i.e. Aspose 6.3 and Aspose 5.5. However, one of the shared XML files (supposed to be created with v 5.5) is actually created with Aspose.Tasks for .NET 3.8.0 as can be seen from the XML contents. Could you please make sure if these are the correct files you have provided.

4. In order to investigate the “Import-only” issue, I believe that there should have been only 1 XML file that we could read with Aspose 5.5. and Aspose 6.3 DLL and observe the issue. These two XML files are creating a confusion as the issue might be in exporting as well which becomes evident when it is re-imported from the MPP using Aspose. Plus, I have observed that both these files are different in size as well which might be the reason for some missing data (however, it is just an assumption).

For further investigation into this issue, I would request you to check the possibility if you could create a sample Visual Studio Console application that can be used to reproduce this issue at our end and assist you further.

Hello Kashif

Point 1. Please go to http://www.cadencemc.com/projectmaster/ and scroll to near the bottom of the page and you will see a tutrotial on Projectmaster. At the 4:09 mark it talks about the dots and circle dots, how they are assigned and what they represent. At the 6:00 mark it talks about the export to word which where you can see the dots and circle dots in a matrix. At 6:17 it talks about export into MSP. When the xml file is opened into MSP the person with the circle dot will appear as the first resource assigned to a particular taks. When the mpp file is imported back into ProjectMaster the first person assigned to a particular task will have a circle dot in the responsibility editor the rest of the resources will have dots.

Point 2. I am not sure what the dots and circle dots are called in the xml file or field the are assigned to in the mpp file. Sorry I am not a programmer or devleoper.

Point 3. Yes you are correct the correct version is 3.8. That is the version that is running on the live ProjectMaster site.

Point 4. the xml files generated by version 6.3 and 3.8 do not interact. Nor is one xml file opened up in the other envionment. 6.3 is running on a testing site and that xml file is only used on that site. 3.8 is running on the live site and is only used on that site. I crossed them only to help narrow the problem down.

I am unable to crate a Studio Console applicaton, however, the issue is easily repeatable if you use the beta site. There is a project already created in the account that I set up for you. Export the project to create the xml file. Open the xml file in MSP 2013, 2014 or 2007. Save it as a mpp file then import it back into ProjectMaster. Navigate to the responsibility editor and you will see that the circle dots are no longer assigned to a resouce.

If you use MSP 2007 you will be able to import the mpp file into the live ProjectMaster site and you will see that the circle dots remain with the resources.

I hope this information helps.

Thanks

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for providing detailed information.

I have tried to reproduce the scenario here but am afraid that without the proper knowledge of extended attribute requested in point 2 and some sample project as requested in point 4, I cannot proceed.

Could you please request your developers to answer these questions because until and unless this issue is not reproduced using sample visual studio project along with the knowledge and usage of extended attribute, I cannot proceed?

Your patience and understanding is highly appreciated in this regard.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for providing detailed information.

I have tried to reproduce the scenario here but am afraid that without the proper knowledge of extended attribute requested in point 2 and some sample project as requested in point 4, I cannot proceed.

Could you please request your developers to answer these questions because until and unless this issue is not reproduced using sample visual studio project along with the knowledge and usage of extended attribute, I cannot proceed?

Your patience and understanding is highly appreciated in this regard.

Hello Kashif,

I will request that the developer create a visual studio console and if he can identify what the dots and circle dots are called with the xml file. In the meantime attached is sample code that was requested “sample code that is used to read the information from imported MPP file,”

I believe that I provided xml samples at the beginning of this thread. They were created when the file was exported from ProjectMaster. One from the older version of ASPOSE and the other From the newer version.

I guess I was hoping that a simple comparison of the two would reveal the issue. Something changed between the two versions that caused the circle dots to be removed when imported as an mpp file. It works with the older version of ASPOSE but not the newer version.

Best regards,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I have reviewed the sample code provided by you and observed that its one file out of the whole project. It contains lot of references to other classes and database as well therefore it cannot be compiled and used for detailed analysis.

The initial XML files provided with this thread cannot be compared and analyzed as the resource extended attribute is still not identified. We will appreciate the effort by your developers to prepare a sample project and provide to us for re-producing the issue and providing solution as soon as possible.

Your cooperation is highly appreciated in this regard.