Resources used on server

We are using Aspose.Cells for creating on demand pivot reports. We are noticing a couple of issues that have us questioning whether this component is a good solution moving forward.

The biggest problem is the server the component resides on has 3 gigs of ram 2 dual core processors, when running a report that returns back 12 columns/15,000 rows the processors spike up to 100% and stay there for close to 8 minutes. This is a problem because of the time it takes to return the report, along with the fact that multiple users wouldn't be able to run the a report at the same time.

Do you have any benchmarks for how much data this component can handle?

Is this component multithreaded?

Hi,

Well, many developers use Aspose.Cells in their server environment to create large / huge workbooks and manipulate data without any difficulty. Aspose.Cells can handle data as much as MS Excel allows. We always try to enhance and optimize the component to produce better performance and reliability. Aspose.Cells is a pure .Net component and you may easily implement multi-threading. We totally rely on .NET Garbage Collector(GC) to release memory resources. GC won't release memory when you set the objects to nothing. It only releases memory when it thinks it's appropriate to be released, Also in web asp.net application, memory collection is not only handle by GC, but also by asp.net process.

Normally memory is consumed significantly for separately set each cell's formattings, creating / implementing too many conditional formattings, using large objects and other drawing objects etc....To resolve such issues, you may optimize your code and create reusable style object(s) based on common formattings related to cells and set these style object(s) to the cells in a worksheet.

Could you give us some more details and create a sample test project, zip it and post it here to show the issue. We will check it soon. And which version of Aspose.Cells you are using?

Thank you.

Dear Tod,

Thanks for reporting this issue. At Aspose we're taking performance issues very seriously. I encourage you to work with Aspose.Cells closely and then hopefully fix your issue. We do this not only in order to have you as a customer but also to improve overall performance of Aspose.Cells.

Thanks again.

Aspose.Cells supports to process multi-files concurrently in multi-threads but we don't suggest to manage a single Excel file in different threads. In each Excel file, there is a global section to manage data, formattings, etc. Concurrently change it in multi-threads may degrade performance or cause errors.

I wrote some simple test cases in my laptop: PentiumM 1.4G, 512MB RAM, WinXP.

It takes about 2.5 seconds to create a file with 15000Row/12column. (No format setings.)

If I add some format settings, it takes about 4.5 seconds to create such a file.

Please check

http://www.aspose.com/wiki/default.aspx/Aspose.Cells/PerformanceTips.html

for some performance tips. If you can give me a sample project, we can find approaches to help you to improve performance.

What about when taking the resulting datasheet and then pivoting it?