RS barcodes don't render on SQL Express 2008

Hi there,

We’ve updated our product from SQL Server 2005 to 2008. The development and demo-machines run with SQL Server Express 2008 R2 x64, the production server will run with SQL Server 2008 R2 x64. I installed the newest version of the .dll, all the configuration entries look OK to me. I can use the barcode plugin in SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio (what a name!), but deployed on my server they don’t render. The rest of the report comes out fine, but the barcodes are simply missing. We want to demo on Friday, so please, if you can, help.

Cheers,

Ben Schlingelhof

Hi Ben,

Thank you for using Aspose products.

Could you please confirm the existence of Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices.dll at below given location of your production machine?
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer\bin

Please note that we provide separate assemblies for SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2. So you need to copy the assembly from SSRS2008R2 folder of Aspose.BarCode for Reporting Services installation directory to the Reporting Services\ReportServer\bin folder.

Looking forward to your kind response.
My server is running on D: so this is the path:

d:\Program Files\SQL Server 2008\MSRS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer\bin

Yes, the Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices.dll is there, I copied it there from SSRS2008R2 in Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices_4.7.0.zip

I also have a "D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server" directory from an earlier installation of SQL Server Compact. This is not in use.

Also, the Aspose SSRS Config Tool consistently fails to copy the .dll to the server path. I always have to do it by hand.

Hi Ben,

Thank you for the confirmation.

I have just tested the latest version v4.7.0 on my end with Windows Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2008 R2. The results produced are as expected. Unfortunately, the SQL Server is installed on C drive, so I am unable to verify if installing the SQL Server on other drive may effect the results.

If Config Tool is updating the “rsreportserver.config” and “rssrvpolicy.config” files then it is OK to manually copy the Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices assembly. Could you please confirm if the above said configuration files have the respective entries as discussed in Step 3 & 4 of this article? I have also attached the configuration files from my machine for your reference.

If the configuration files have the respective entries then please restart the Reporting Services and check the deployed reports.

Looking forward to your response.

I have compared the config files. My rssrvpolicy.config is identical to yours. My rsreportserver.config has some small differences to yours, but none in the aspose-section.

Restarted the service, tried the deployed report (it contains only a single barcode, no database-connection), I still get an empty pdf.
bensch:
Restarted the service, tried the deployed report (it contains only a single barcode, no database-connection), I still get an empty pdf.

Hi,

From your comments as above, it seems that you are getting the barcode on your deployed report. Could you please confirm that with a snapshot?

Thanks

No, I do not get a barcode. I don’t get anything in the pdf.

In the Business Intelligence Development Studio I see the barcode, If I do a preview rendering, I get a barcode. If I deploy the report to the server and request the report in the /Reports interface, I get an empty pdf file.
With

bensch:
it contains only a single barcode, no database-connection

I meant that the report is designed to show a barcode, but when deployed it does not in fact show it.

Hi,

Sorry for the misunderstanding and your inconvenience.

If the configuration files have the corresponding entries and Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices.dll is in place (Reporting Services\ReportServer\bin folder) then the deployed reports should exhibit desired results. I am pretty sure that installing the SQL Server on D drive has nothing to do with this issue, but I still need to confirm this on my end. Please note, it may take some time to simulate the environment and to do so, I will require the exact specifications of your server like,
  • OS version
  • OS architecture
  • SQL Server version
  • OS service pack
  • SQL Server service pack

You can try one more thing, please copy the Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices assembly from your development machine to your problematic server. Check the version of both assemblies are same. Create a new report with just one barcode. Deploy it on server. Check the deployed report in any browser and without exporting it to PDF.

Please let me know the results.
Regards,

Hi Ben,

Are you able to resolve your issue? Please keep us informed with the current status.

Regards,

Hi,

I’m in Germany, hence the difference in business hours. Here’s the data:
Windows 7 Professional (64bit) SP 1
Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition with Advanced Services (64-bit) (version 10.50.2500.0)

I’ll run the suggested test as soon as my admin is back in the room.

Cheers,

And here’s the data for our production server:

Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
SQL-Server MS SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP1) - 10.50.2500.0 (X64) Standard Edition

I’ve run the test on the server as you suggested, the barcode does render. Everything seems fine. The issue seems to be either the OS (rather improbable) or the SQL Server Express (somewhat more probable).
We don’t have (and probably could not afford) a full SQL Server License for each development/demo machine. Can you help?

Ben

Hi Ben,

First of all, please accept my apologies for the delayed response.

I have simulated the environment as of your demo server by freshly installing the SQL Server 2008 Express R2 (with additional services) on Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate versions. On both virtual machines, I am unable to render barcodes when reports are deployed. With these results, I have started to believe that Aspose.BarCode for Reporting Services component is not fully compatible with above said version of the SQL Server.

I will further troubleshoot the problem on my end, and if required I will also log an appropriate ticket for the development team to have a look into this matter.

We are sorry for your inconvenience.

Hi again,

I have logged a ticket (BARCODREP-33124) in our bug tracking system to get the expert’s opinion from the development end on your said issue. As soon as I receive any updates, I will be more than happy to share it with you.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as BARCODREP-33124) have been fixed in Aspose.BarCode for Reporting Services 7.2.0.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.