Safve Excel-2007 into Excel-2010- 2013 format in java with ASPOSE

Hi Team,

I want to save EXCEL-2007 .XLSX file into EXCEL-2010/2013 format.

As per my knowledge excel 2007-2013 all excel files get stored in .xlsx format.

wb.save(filePath, FileFormatType.XLSX);

Please help/guide/suggest

Hi,

Well, I am afraid there is no such feature available in the Aspose.Cells APIs set and we are not sure about the reason why you need this and why you want to distinguish it. We might support this feature, such as provide an API to set the version id for the XLSX file, but we don’t think it is required by other users or useful feature for the users, we think it is meaningless. If you could provide us a valid and valuable reason to support this feature, then we can make further investigation to check whether and how can we support it. Well, useless in a sense, for example, if a file is created in MS Excel 2007 in XLSX file format manually it would be limited set of attributes and features (some extra features are supported only in Excel 2010 and 2013), now if we provide some APIs to save it for Excel 2013 XLSX version, the resultant file would be limited (same as its original file) too and it does not mean to apply Excel 2013 enhanced features or attributes attached to the output file, so we think it would be useless.

By the way, we think you can also modify the source workbook.xml by yourself using your own JAVA codes and re-archive it back to get and re-generated XLSX file in your desired version of MS Excel satisfying your requirement. Although it is a bit complex for your operations you devise to accomplish the task but we think it can work fine for you.

Thank you.

Hi,

Not sure why it is meaningless, it should have compatibility support.

Say I have an 2003 Excel template with many formulas in it and now I want to save it to Excel 2007 and use some new fuctions only exists 2007. For this case, I need to recreate the template on 2007, not just save it as 2007 and add something new?

Same case will happened to save 2007 template to 2010 or 2013. It should be a common case, right?

Thanks,

Sissi

Hi,

Sissi:

Say I have an 2003 Excel template with many formulas in it and now I want to save it to Excel 2007 and use some new fuctions only exists 2007. For this case, I need to recreate the template on 2007, not just save it as 2007 and add something new?

Same case will happened to save 2007 template to 2010 or 2013. It should be a common case, right?

Well, your understanding is incorrect. When you have a template Excel file (XLS) created in Excel 2003 with its limited set of formulas or other features, now if you save it in Excel XLSX file format after incorporating new features or other functions, these features or functions would automatically become available / supported in the output Excel file. One thing must be taken care of, if you open the Excel file into MS Excel 2007, then those features/ functions would be surely available. Same is case with other MS Excel versions e.g 2007 (template) to Excel 2010/2013 --> you only need to open the output file into MS Excel 2010/2013 to get your features implemented or available.

Thank you.

I understand we can open it with new MS version, but after open it and add some fuctions with new avaliable features, then I can save it to new version Excel. Means I can open Excel 2003 file with MS 2007 version, then save it to MS 2007, correct?

Do we have any API to support open old version Excel with new MS version?

Hi,

Well, for your information, when you open an XLS file (created in MS Excel) into MS Excel 2007, you cannot add MS Excel 2007 new/ advanced features or functions to older XLS file format (which is limited).

Moreover, you can open older file formats e.g (XLS - created in Excel 97-2003) into Ms Excel 2007/2010 or 2013 versions without any problem what so ever.

Thank you.

Any API to support open older file formats e.g (XLS - created in Excel 97-2003) into Ms Excel 2007/2010 or 2013 versions? How to know it is 2007/2010 or 2013 to open Excel 97-2003 with Aspose APIs?

And for this

'when you open an XLS file (created in MS Excel) into MS Excel 2007, you cannot add MS Excel 2007 new/ advanced features or functions to older XLS file format (which is limited).'

how can we add new fuctions to older XLS file format and save it to MS Excel 2007?

Hi,

Sissi:

how can we add new fuctions to older XLS file format and save it to MS Excel 2007?

No, you can't. If you need to utilize or add Excel 2007 features or functions, you got to save XLS file (Excel 2003) as XLSX file format. If you still save to XLS file format, then new functions won't be available because XLS file format has certain limitations on its own.

Thank you.

If I open .xlsx(EXCEL-2007) file using Excel-2013 and add some new features which are provided by EXCEL-2013 and want to save it.

Can we do this in ASPOSE?

Hi,

Yes, sure, Aspose.Cells will load the Excel file (template file created in Excel 2007) and you may then use Excel 2013 features/ functions and re-save the file accordingly.

Thank you.

Hi Amjad,

If you create any workbook using ASPOSE and extract it, docProps>app.xml file do not have tag inside it.

Workbook wb = new Workbook();

wb.save(“D:\ASPOSE\version.xlsx”, SaveFormat.XLSX);

If I create one excel file manually in MS Excel and save it and extract it, in that propDocs>app.xml I am getting tag.

Could you please tell me how can I get this tag in my app file after generating file using ASPOSE?

I am looking for tag.

I am looking for tag AppVersion

Could you please update me on this.

Hi,

Thanks for your posting and using Aspose.Cells.

Currently, this feature is not available and you cannot get the AppVersion xml tag found inside the docProps/app.xml.

Therefore we have logged a New Feature request in our database. We will look into it and implement this feature. Once, it is implemented or we have some other update for you, we will let you know asap.

This issue has been logged

• CELLSJAVA-41048 - AppVersion xml tag found inside the docProps/app.xml is needed

I have also attached the screenshot highlighting your requirement for a reference.

Hi Amjad,

Please update me to get AppVersion tag in app.xml file of workbook which is created using ASPOSE API

Hi,

We have fixed your issue “CELLSJAVA-41048” now. We will provide you the fix in the next a few days (3-5 days or so) after incorporating some other enhancements and testing.

Thank you.

Hi,

Please try our latest fix/version: Aspose.Cells for Java v8.2.1.4

Kindly try
workbook.getBuiltInDocumentProperties().getVersion() with our latest
fix (v8.2.1.4).

Let us know your feedback.

Thank you.

Hi Amjad,

I tried your latest version of ASPOSE 8.2.1.4 with below code

Workbook wb = new Workbook();
wb.save(“D:\ASPOSE\version.xlsx”, SaveFormat.XLSX);